re-siting the meter = £2000!! UK Power Networks

Not necessarily. It might not be a large house, and therefore might not need a lot of VD reserved for the final circuits and might not have a high maximum demand.

And what's your definition of impractical? 16mm² will only drop 7V with 50A over 50m.

Sponsored Links
I was basing my my assumption off the 100a cutout with no guestimate as to max demand, but you're right, chances are a pensioner living in a bungalow barely needs any power really

Changes somewhat if there is no gas for CH, HW and cooker though

And what's your definition of impractical? 16mm² will only drop 7V with 50A over 50m.
AFaict you have a total of 6.9V drop available for lighting feeds including both the submain and the final circuit.

Still afaict standard consumer unit incomers have a terminal capacity of 50mm².

AFaict you have a total of 6.9V drop available for lighting feeds including both the submain and the final circuit.
Indeed. The point of what I wrote was to show that you only start entering a problem zone at 50A, and will that ever be the load of the whole house?

Still afaict standard consumer unit incomers have a terminal capacity of 50mm².
Yes - I was being unduly pessimistic with my advice about the switchfuse - it's bound to be able to take 25mm².

Sponsored Links
I was basing my my assumption off the 100a cutout with no guestimate as to max demand, but you're right, chances are a pensioner living in a bungalow barely needs any power really

Changes somewhat if there is no gas for CH, HW and cooker though

No gas on the property, so UKPN recommended at least a 100A supply.
I have tweaked the scheme a little - shown below, and I'll ask if this would change the quote for the work:

The difference now is that a new connection to a different part of the main won't be needed, but rather just re-route the existing connection to a permanent outside meter, then in the future just connect the meter to the refurbished / rebuilt bungalow...
thanks

Looks better as they should be able to joint onto the existing service cable and all excavation on private property that you can do

Hi everyone
I thought I'd update you on this thread.

I got in touch with the Electricity company and told them that we wished to disconnect the supply. The bungalow will be demolished (and my dad is staying with us for now).
Therefore they needed to recover their equipment. There was no question of us paying for a disconnection, and they agreed to cover the cost of UKPN doing their bit with the disconnection.

That in itself covers about £800 of the quoted cost.

Then in the future we can make a new connection - which clearly we will have to pay for.
But, I am also in the process of asking UKPN if they can quote us for a "service alternation" whereby the meter is relocated to point F (from point B). This will not involve a disconnection or a new connection - so the cost may come out cheaper still.

The chap from UKPN said that their mains cable is 25mm but is not rated beyond 43m, before the voltage drops. However, from point F to the new house the distance will probably be about 50m.
He said that with a higher grade copper cable this should be fine...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back