Re-slating and flashing bay window pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've decided to renovate the pitched roof on my bay window so that it's a bit more in keeping with the rest of the houses on my terrace. It is currently covered with what seems to be plain bitumen so I'm planning on ripping this off and slating the roof. I think I've almost figured out everything I need to do but just had a few questions, mainly regarding the flashing.

The roof is pitched at about 20 degrees, I’m going to use 20 x 10 slates cut down when appropriate and double lapped. I’ll then have hip tiles ending in scrolled hip ends.

Underneath will be a breathable membrane but I wasn’t planning on adding any insulation. The roof space itself is unventilated as far as I’m aware and the house itself isn’t particularly exposed; it’s a terrace house in a typical London street…

At the top abutment I think I’ve worked out that the flashing will need to run up the brickwork and then fold into it, and will extend out over the slates at the other end. It doesn’t appear that I need soakers between the top slates and underneath the flashing, correct?

At the side(raking?) abutments I was planning on creating step flashing but wasn’t sure whether this should extend over the slates in the same manner as the top abutment.

I’ve seen various ‘how-to’s that suggest it should extend over the slates.

Others suggest there should be soakers that extend up the brickwork and lap underneath the slates. The step flashing then laps over the soaker and then extends over the slates.

Other posts suggest that the step flashing laps over the soaker edge that is rising up the brickwork but the step flashing itself doesn’t extend over the tiles. This was the way I was going to go as I think it would look neater.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
You will need soakers up the sides, step flashing covering these where they are dressed up the wall.
As said you dont need to carry the flashing over the slate just cover the soakers vertically
top flashing will need to dress down over slates..dont forget patination oil.
fit the soakers as you slate.

Sponsored Links
Was going to use Code 3 for the soakers and Code 4 for the flashing itself... Do you recommend using any fixings for the lead as well or should it be sufficient just dressed down over the slates?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back