re using copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What's the consensus on reusing copper pipe?
I am re routing mains water feed 1/2 inch pipe. Basically I have removed the ghastly box section that routes around the top of the room and am knocking a more direct hidden route through the floor boards.

Can I unbend some small kinks in the copper or am I better off just buying brand new lengths and bending them myself (using knee!).

Or a friend has suggested using Hep2O around an awkward bend and then rejoining the copper pipe??

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
No harm in trying. Not sure I'm too keen on hep fillers - however, if you do then don't forget to bond the break in pipework for any electrical continuity.

Ok thanks for reply .Without getting into the can o worms, would you recommend just using the copper, I'm just not sure on my bending ability (never tried)!

Sponsored Links
OK. Is it best to heat the pipe a little before bending? Is using my knee ok (my DIY manual mentions putting springs in the end!?)

Any tips...

Depends what sort of curves (radii in particular) you're aiming at.

You will need a spring for this. Cut using a hacksaw and not a pipslice, or you'll never get the spring out. Worth heating the pipe section to be bent beforehand - called annealing.

Probably worth having a new length of copper as well if it goes awry - you can always get the £7 refund if you don't use it.

Dont try it without a spring you will just end up with aload more scrap
with kinks in it.

a spring, a decent sized (round) biscuit tin and a bit elbow grease will pull your angle.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back