Joining lead pipe to copper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lead water main coming so far down my garden then at some point it joins onto a copper pipe. Trouble is I have damaged the copper pipe while digging through some concrete. Rather than repair the copper pipe I would like to pick up off the lead pipe and re-route a feed to pick up the copper somewhere else. What fittings would i use to do this? Also if i didnt want to use copper then could I use flexible pipe instead?

Sponsored Links
Can of worms. How deep is the pipe - it's supposed to be 750mm = 2ft 6.

You can use a Lead-Loc or a Lead-Line or other similar device. Plumbcentre have several, along with other fitting types which can be easier.

You'd be better off taking the lot out and replacing it with blue MDPE plastic, 25 or 32mm diameter. Look at BES.co.uk or Screwfix to see the pipe and fittings.

Pipe is nowhere near 750mm deap, its burried under a slap of 4" concrete thats under the patio. Pipe then goes into 2nd level of garden(not sure how deep it is there), then into 3rd level(still not sure how deep), then into stoptap under pavement outside. Replacing it would be a nightmare, been reading about that leadloc, that seems more reasonable at the moment. Are these ok for plastic pipe?

There are special fittings for lead - MDPE. Do not use house-plumbing plastic pipe underground!

If we get old fashoned cold winters ever agin, your pipe will freeze at 4" deep.

Digging trenches isn't hard for those who do it for a living. It's surprising how fast some guys are. Necessary qualification seems to be Irishness ;)

Sponsored Links
oh dear, none of those carry approval in WRAS do they

right enough of that old bullshit Kedsey is correct with the leadlock But I would favour Chris' suggestion for a bit of piece of mind

And with a bit of luck you could get in a crew to do a 'trenchless' service pipe replacement using a compressed-air driven 'mole'....

(might be tricky if your site is 'stepped' and with a big gradient...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back