re-using grippers and underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to replace some carpet which must have been down for about 4 years (?) - was there when we moved in but still looks fairly new.

Getting it professionally fitted so wanted to know can we reuse the underlay and the grippers?

Trying hard to save some cash as i'm going to be trying my hand at laying laminate for the rest of the house at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the underlay, is it clean & still in good condition?
If so then you can reuse it.

The old grippers, if they are in the right place then there should be no need to replace them.

I took up my underlay and grippers with the intention of re-using as much as I can.

The problem with taking up cheap underlay - like mine - is that about 10-20% of it degrades and crumbles as you take it up. This makes it hard to re-use.

Similarly with grippers I find about 10-20% of the stuff snaps or comes up in short unusable pieces as you take it up ( if you take it up )

Thanks for the responces,

It all looks fine, i will leave the grippers in place and try not to disturb the underlay as i work.
I guess i will have to replace some as i will be chasing squeaky floorboards at the same time and i dont fancy picking bit of deteriated underlay up the whole time.

chears guys

Sponsored Links
just to add to this, mu gripper looks fine to re use though upon close inspection some of the gripping spikes look a bit bent right on the tip. Still sharp though. Is this still ok to re-use? I think I just don't want the hassle of throwing it rather than saving money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back