re-wire and plastering for a 2 bed flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - have just been told that our 2 bed flat needs a complete re-wire. Following the re-wire we need each room replastered (plaster is OK in places but crumbling in others). I've had a quote for £8k. I'm working on the assumption that labour (london prices) is about £250 per day so that makes it 16 days work for 2 people. Can anyone out there advise if this is reasonable or not??
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You should always get at least 3 quotes.
You don't say if this is the quote for the rewire, or a builder's quote for the full job. The price depends on factors which we can only comment on after seeing the job.

I do work in North London, mainly Edwardian houses as a whole or split in to 2 x 2 bed flats.

£8k for the rewire AND the plastering is high, £8k for just rewiring is stupid.

For a 2 bed flat, ball park £3-4k subject to location (inside or outside congestion zones), access (parking can be £30 a day) and fabric of flat (conversion or built as flat). Age can add or take down cost.

Could you elaborate on location, build type and service circuits required, I assume something like:-

1 x general ring for beds and recpts
1 x ring kitchen
1 x radial cooker
1 x radial shower
1 x radial boiler
1 x radial hot water cylinder
1 x radial lights

With MK fittings, think £1000 for materials + labour charge for 100 hours

Its a 1930's semi converted into 2 flats.Circuits you list are spot on except for hot water cyliner and shower - neither required.
The 8k is the builders quote for the re-wire plus the plastering. Sounds like they need to knock £2k off that to get close to reasonable.
thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
Builder hey?.
Please note that rewiring is notifiable work under Building regs Part P. Make sure that he, or his nominated electrician, is registered here www.competentperson.co.uk and that the quote includes certification and cost to notify.

You may have problems selling the property later if you dont get it done properly and get all the paperwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back