Real Rustic Oak Dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we've just bought a stack of 180mm x 20mm real rustic oak - brushed and olied for fitting throughtout our house (minus kitchen). The boards are to be fitted to chipboard type floor (the house is 13 year old) I've spoke to a couple fitters and they are waving their arms shouting 'no don't do it' They're saying 180mm is a nightmare for cupping and I should exchange goods for a less wide board or go for engineered boards. Trouble is my wife loves and picked it! Is there any solution? Or do I break it to her gently? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It all depends on your house-climate and the existing moist content of the new floorboards have now.
If all is equal (i.e. moist content of boards between 9 - 11% and your house-climate rather stable: air-humidity between 45 - 65%) the risk of cupping is minimal, but have to say we also recommend wood-engineered if you want wider than 160mm boards - due to our experiences with how the climate in houses here are treated.

IMHO no need to return the stuff, make sure you leave sufficient expansion gaps all around (remember it's winter - central heating - lower air-humidity - so the floor will want to expand in the Spring).

Thanks for your response. The flooring seller has given us polythene to fit on top of the existing floor before the new wood goes down. Is this required? Will the planks need glued as well as nailed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back