Really Difficult Heating Problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our heating system has completely stopped working, and my trouble shooting skills haven’t been able to figure out the problem. Please could you read this post and see if you know what the problem might be as this winter is FREEZING….

Why I’m not calling a plumber….

I recently moved in with my elderly father in law at his house, as I’d just lost my job and had time to help him out with his house while I was looking for work.

When I arrived the situation was a lot worse than I originally thought, he hadn’t been paying his bills, and hasn’t had the heating on for over two years and has been ill alot. I’ve emptied my savings to help with the bills so now between us we don’t have two pennies to rub together and can’t afford a plumber to look at his heating system.

I’ve probably gone into too much detail in this post, but thought it best to give too much rather than too little. Hopefully a kind soul out there might be able to guide me on my next step. I know I should get an expert in to look at it but it really isn’t an option.

First of all I’ll explain the layout…

Downstairs in the kitchen there is a Stelrad RS40 Gas Boiler with a Randall 102 timer. There is a Honeywell thermostat on the wall in the entranceway which still “clicks” when its moved.

Upstairs there is also an immersion heater, central heating pump and a Honeywell Sundial Y Plan 3 position diverter valve.

There is also a large water tank in the loft (for the hot water) and a smaller tank for the heating.

Getting to the problem….

All the radiators were stone cold at first. The heating hadn’t been on for two years and all the radiators were turned off. He had been having hot water for the taps.

First thing I did was turn on all the radiators, bleed them while they were still cold, and then turned the Randall 102 timer setting to “Water and Heating”. I then turned the timer to ON and the boiler didn’t fire.

I turned it to “heating only” and turned it on and it did fire. So thinking that the timer maybe faulty, I checked for the common live wire going in, looked up the timers wiring diagram and fed a live wire directly onto the “Heating” slot – put the timer cover back on and the boiler fired up. So now I know the timer is faulty, but I’ve bypassed that for now and can replace later on.

So the boilers fired up… The upstairs radiators then started to slowly heat up (but never got hot), but the downstairs radiators were stone cold.

After about 15mins the boiler shut off, and flicking the timer off and on didn’t help. I thought it might need a little while to get going and left the timer “ON” permanently and the live wire connected to the heating wire. The boiler kept on coming on for 15mins, shut down and then fire back up around an hour later.

After 2 days of this the upstairs radiators were “warm” but downstairs were still stone cold. After the Boiler shut down again I felt the water pipe going into the boiler and it was red hot, the outgoing water pipe was also red hot.

My thinking to this point is that the boiler itself is working fine, however it is shutting off because the water coming back in is red hot and its stopping itself from overheating.

My first thought was the pump – it’s a Myson Unit 3. I read up online and then undid the screw in the middle, black water started dripping out and after turning it clockwise and anti-clockwise for a while screwed the cap back on tight. The next time the boiler fired the upstairs radiators went red hot. In that time I’d also read there was a speed switch underneath that I hadn’t noticed so I turned it up to speed 2 and tried again. This time all the radiators upstairs were red hot still, and one of the pipes leading to a downstairs radiator started to feel luke warm, but that radiator and all of downstairs remained completely cold. The boiler then shut down again, but had stayed on for abit longer.

So I thought Blockage…

I then put a piece of wood across the small tank in the attic and tied up the ballcock so it wouldn’t fill up. I then ran a hose from the lowest radiator and opened the “bleeding valve” in the uppermost radiator and drained the whole system.

Once it had stopped I went around and bled each radiator to make certain that all the water had drained – two rads were still giving water so I drained them manually and the water was filthy black and full of sediment.

I filled the system and kept an eye on the two radiators and they filled up straight away - so I think the blockage has gone there - I bled each radiator in the house so there were no airlocks.

Once it was filled I went back to the two radiators and drained them (from the valve that is on the pipe underneath) and more black water came out. I went around the house and bled them all again so there were no air blocks. I felt that this should have sorted out those two radiators and didn’t see the point in draining the whole system again – after all there are three other radiators that drain and fill fine and they are still stone cold.

Turned the system back on and now the upstairs radiators are just “warm” again! They are no longer hot and the pump is still set to speed 2. I know I need to put cleanser in and inhibitor – however its about £23 and I can foresee the system getting drained again to replace something so was hoping to avoid paying twice, and get it working on normal water first before I do that.

The boiler still keeps on cutting off and I have taken one step forward and two steps back. My thoughts are this…

The gas boiler downstairs is working fine, it is heating the water that goes through it.
The timer has packed in but is not an immediate problem and is being bypassed.
The central heating pump is “humming” and I can feel it moving when its on (it does get RED hot, slightly hotter than the pipes above and below it) so I’m unsure if it’s faulty but it doesn’t appear so.
The Honeywell Sundial Y Plan could be faulty – however I don’t know how to check if it’s still working or not.
The thermostat on the wall downstairs is an unknown quantity – I don’t even know how to test if it works on not (any advice on this would be appreciated).

I know something is causing the boiler to shut down before the downstairs radiators even warm up.
I know something is causing the heat to flow upstairs but not go downstairs.

I’m thinking that my next step should be cleanser - to see if there is still a blockage, but I cant see how it is blocking heat to all 5 radiators downstairs so I’m hesitant to do it (I know its only £10 but it could go towards a new heat pump or something else). But I am hoping someone could rule out if the Y Plan diverter valve could be causing any of these problems, as the pump and boiler “seem” to operate fine, and the system has been drained and appears to be clear. Does anyone know how I can test to see if it’s faulty?

Any ideas, thoughts, suspicions, or guesses on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

Once again If anyone can help then please, please post a reply – I’ve got a thousand and one repairs to do to his house and it’s so hard to stay motivated when it’s freezing cold. If I can temporarily get the heating on and get us through the winter then I can hopefully pay for a new system to be installed next year once all his bills are under control.

Oh, and I’ve tried opening the other valves on all the radiators in case it was a balancing problem but still none of the radiators get hot so I ruled that out too.

Thank you once again for your time and help and thoughts.

Best Regards

Dean

Sponsored Links
did you re bleed the pump once you refilled the system and when you bleed it check it rotating ok.

did you re bleed the pump once you refilled the system and when you bleed it check it rotating ok.

Hi Seco Services,

Thank you so much for your reply, and wow was it quick!

Forgive me for asking what may be silly questions but this is the first heating system I've dealt with and I'm reading up on everything I come across.

First of all regarding bleeding the pump - I presume that it is simply a case of unscrewing the centre cap so that the water comes out - please could you confirm this please.

When you say "check it rotating ok" do you mean unscrew it with the power on? (I don't care if it's dangerous and wouldn't sue you if you say yes but your not supposed to!) So far I've only unscrewed the centre after I've isolated the power as I didn't know what would happen. Once I've unscrewed it is it just a case of seeing if it's spinning around inside?

Sorry if they are silly questions, and thank you so much for getting back to me.

Best Regards

Dean

you can unscrew the centre nut and turn on you'll see it rotate or put a screw driver in the hole you'll feel it.

bleed it with the power off then replace the screw. you'll get a small amount of water out when screw removed.

try it through the speeds.

if ok replace screw and stick it on top speed.

Sponsored Links
Thank you seco services, I have a bit more information now...

I bled the pump while it was on and blacky water was coming out and it was spinning around - so I think it's certain that the pump is ok.

After the boiler shut down again I went around the radiators and all upstairs are red hot, but downstairs are still stone cold.

Straight away I got a pipe and bucket and started to drain (I don't know what to call the tap-like nozzle on the pipe underneath the radiator) from the nozzle and banged on the pipes a little with a spanner to try and dislodge any sludge in there. A small amount of black water came out and then it ran clear - however...

The radiator heated up! I drained a whole buckets worth of water and the radiator and both pipes leading upstairs were red hot - this is with the boiler still shut down.

So I thought I'd try it on the two other downstairs radiators that have those nozzles and (the heating kicked on half way through the second) both radiators also heated up nicely.

The heating shut down again as normal and I waited about 45mins until it came on again. All the upstairs radiators got hot as is now normal but all the downstairs radiators remained cold.

Does anyone have any ideas why it is possible to make the downstairs radiators heat up artificially by draining the nozzles underneath them, but when left alone they stay cold?

Thank you for your time guys (and girls).

shut upstairs rads downstairs should get hot.
them come back when all rads downstairs hot.

I think what he means is that
With the system set to run try unscrewing the centre big black nut, when you pull it outward tip it to the side and you should feel the spindle moving if you can't the the pump is stuck and needs replacing.Even if you feel humming it could be the motor coil working but that does'nt mean the shaft is turning.

Thanks PartyMike, I went back and took a look at it and the black plastic nut (that comes off if pulled) spins around so I think thats a definate "works ok".

I'll shut down all the rads upstairs and see what happens and then come back on here shortly with the results.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the effort and help you are providing.

Best Regards

Dean

Probably - hot water naturally rises and sludge normally settles low down, if the heatings not been circulated for 2 years i would suggest taking every downstairs rad off and manually flush with a hosepipe (bang the rads with a rubber mallet whilst flushing) then with the rads still off open each rad valve to flush the pipework, add some cleaner and turn off the upstairs rads intermittently to concentrate on the downstairs rads, also if you can turn pump up to 3 then turn back down if this works.

If the central heating has been turned off for two years perhaps the three way motorised valve has stuck in the hot water mode. Not sure if you can manually move the arm on three way valve, but if you can, be gentle with it. ;)

Also if all rads have been turned off and they are thermostatic valves, the pin in the valve will be stuck shut (That's assuming they are TVR's) :!:

If the fatherlaw is really genuinely in financial difficulties there is a grant aided organisation called Warmfront who will probably be able to help with repairs or modernation of the heating.

Like all these things they are not perfect and take a bit of getting used to.

Tony

If the central heating has been turned off for two years perhaps the three way motorised valve has stuck in the hot water mode.
He said it worked fine on CH only, so valve can't be stuck at HW position.

On the radiators that get quite hot, try closing the lockshield valves a little, this restricts the flow to those radiators and improves the flow to those that are cold.

It sounds as though your motorised valve is working ok, but when re-filling the system the valve should be held in the mid position, using the side lever on the latch provided, this is so water can get through both ports and prevent air locks. You can bleed the pump and radiators easily but a pocket of air is much more difficult.
The suggestion by gigs 'running off water from each valve before replacing a radiator' is quite effective, no water equals blockage.

Regarding the pump! You can easily be misled.It might have been bled and it might be revolving, but it might not be circulating the water as it should. I had cause to remove a pump recently and there was black hardened sediment formed at the joints to the pump valves, to such a degree the inlet and exit hole was reduced down from about 18mm down to about 6mm. The problem radiator which was the furthest away from the boiler was cured with a new pump. So you could just remove the head of the pump for a quick look at the impeller and the inlet/outlet valves.
Some systems have a by-pass pipe with a gate valve fitted, allowing a easy route from flow side to return side. Check to see if you have such a pipe and valve. Should be just after the pump but before the 3 port valve.
If you have one thats open too much, your water will take the easy route and go back to boiler instead of radiators.
So thats, balancing, blockage, air lock, pump and by- pass valve

u got a filter on the system??? ull find it on the flow before the pump on most systems. you can isolate most just need a surclip remover to take the filter out. but could be the pump or the rads may just need balancing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back