RealPlayer Alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have info on Real Alternative 1.23 As the name suggests, it is an alternative for RealPlayer. From FinalBuilds Anyone used the site ?

P

Sponsored Links
I'm going to look into that. I refuse to install RealPlayer on my system due to the nature of it. I don't want my choice of player for a type of media to be forced.

So praise be, someone has released a third party player.

Ant to think, Real are moaning because Apple won't let them sell music for iPod... "Hello pot? This is kettle. You're black!"

Hope it is a good prog Adam ... let us know how goes it.

Read somewhere that one can download RealPlayer10 minus all the attendant c rap ... via the Beeb ... not found anything like it yet !!

Am still able to listen to missed radio progs ... whilst on the forum !!
ListenAgainR4
I think the BBC does a damn good job .. excellent web site. Ban-All-TV-Adverts I say !!

Apparently one can clear all traces of RealPlayer products from one's machine using .rp1clean.exe that is 'dot'rp1... found in RealPlayer folder.
It is said that the RealPlayer Alternative can be affected by remnants of the 'real' RealPlayer !!
P

OK, I downloaded and installed Real Alternative (there is also a Quicktime Alternative).

First test: went to the BBC News website and watched some videolips. The Real logo comes up when you loading them, and it looks exactly like the original Realplayer. Worked fine on the BBC's 225kbps streams.

Second test: download some full RealVideo files (not just streaming ones) and watch them in my 3rd party video player (BSPlayer). Unfortunately, couldn't find any so couldn't test it!

So, it appears they have reverse engineered the RealPlayer software (hence the logos). Either that or it is just a very close copy!

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
I think the BBC does a damn good job .. excellent web site. Ban-All-TV-Adverts I say !!

I seem to remember reading that they are planning on launching an archive of all their TV progs, so you can watch it later on the net if you miss it. They were sorting out the issues with allowing international users to download (i.e. not letting them... well, we pay for it :LOL: ).

For a start, if a foreign channel buys a BBC programme, they don't want people to watch it for free without the adverts as that may impact their viewing figures and thus advertising revenue.

Back