Rear brake pad replacement with electric handbrake.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lateish Volvo V70 but same system as Mondeo/Galaxy I believe. Has anyone done this without special tool to reset handbrake actuator? Apparently 2 ways. Either apply 12v to the actuator terminals - one way handbrake retracts, other it engages. Other way is to unbolt actuator from caliper and use a torx drive to retract handbrake. Sounds simple but I'm wondering if there are hidden difficulties.

Sponsored Links
I’ve got a function on my scanner tool that is supposed to put the epb into service mode. Haven’t used it yet but when I changed the rear pads on my mums Megane Scenic years ago, I just did it with the handbrake off and engine running.

Yes, the proper scanner tool retracts and resets the handbrake actuators but you're supposed to be able to manage without. I watched a video on YouTube but it left me with doubts.

I’ve only ever used a diagnostic tool as it did a self calibration with new pads fitted. This was on my father in laws Audi Q5.
I’m not sure if it uses this feature to warn of low pads, that would be my only concern, I’ve watched those videos too on manual retracting and it looks pretty straightforward.
Some cars do have a built in feature for releasing it for maintenance, may be worth having a look on a Volvo forum for this.

Sponsored Links
Been looking on You Tube at Mondeos ( same system) On them you can press the accelerator, operate the handbrake switch and turn the ignition key and the system goes into maintenance mode. I think I'll use the 12v supply to the actuator trick to do it when the time comes.

Back