Rear single story extension, building notice?

Remember that you can add the areas of any windows or doors which will be removed for the extension to 25% of the floor area
to get the total allowable glazing in the extension, so it's potentially a bit more than 25% of the floor area.
Yes indeed -I should have mentioned in post!

Sponsored Links
More to consider than just area of glazing of course ,but builder will have to sort that out if doing work under a Building Notice :!: Just saying.

Sponsored Links
If I went with a full on application with a different technician would something like this with added side garage and rear dining room be likely to get approved?

The garage diagonal wall would be upto the boundary. The 2 openings into the dining room are currently a window on the left and bay window on the right.

5694DBE2-E83C-493E-85E9-EE5706AD891E.jpeg

You probably know this already but just for clarity..
Building notice is to do with building regs and a full plans application would have to have enough detail on the structure, insulation, ventilation etc in order to be approved. So the openings and glazing would be relevant here.
In terms of the overall externally visible design that would be planning permission rather than building regs. And for what it's worth, the rear part would practically be permitted development assuming single storey, if not it would depend on the impact on the neighbour. The garage bit look like a standard garage from the front so if single storey sounds alright. But you should be able to get pre application advice from your council.
Planning and building control are completely separate teams that don't talk to each other in the council!

Thinking about it I probably would go full plans. The house opposite has just had a similar loft room/roof extension to ours designed. Their guy drew the plans right first time so was all done and passed in 5 weeks compared to the 12+months it took the tit to sort ours.

Think i’ll have a word with them.

I would :- design out that sharp angled corner of brickwork on the rear wall of the garage,
make the brickwork each side of the dining room windows the same width,
make the width of the bwk on the external corner adequate width for buttressing.
What do those 4 door swings to the dining area denote :?::!:
Just saying but how does a wc and wash hand basin fit into that wc with the door opening inwards :?::!:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just knocked that up on paint to show my missus. We have an odd shaped garden so the odd shaped bit at the back of the garage would be ‘use it or loose it’.

This isn’t perfectly accurate but it’s shaped like this:
29A57AF8-5FF0-4960-A284-96BEF4FE8026.png

You could still square off that sharp rear corner of brickwork without losing much space at all.

Maybe, i’ll have a measure up this weekend but even if it’s only 600mm it would cost me a workbench of space.

You wouldn't need to lose a workbench space just to square of that corner ,in fact doing away with that awkward internal corner would make the space more usable I think.

That’s the shape of my garden though so to do away with it I would have to loose some of the side or back.

That’s the shape of my garden though so to do away with it I would have to loose some of the side or back.
I don't think you understand what I am suggesting. I just mean squaring off that sharp rear corner of bwk by coming down the external face of the splayed wall by say 2 brick lengths .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back