Rear single story extension, building notice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are thinking of building an extension on the back of the house to be used as a dining room.

It will be pretty basic, 1 full wall, 1 wall with window, 1 side mainly bi-folds. The opening into the house would be through what is currently a square bay window. 5mtrs out, about 4mtrs wide.

What’s the easiest way to build this legally? Can I do it on a building notice with very basic plans? How exactly do they work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can do it on a building notice with just some basic plans for a builder you trust absolutely. You don't submit plans to building control with a notice. However, you rely totally on your builder making sure everything is spot on to regs and that building control will just sign off as you go along. It is far safer to prepare plans and submit for building control approval, but you may have to pay someone to do these for you.

Best to employ an architect or architectural technician to prepare drawings and obtain planning permission as necessary from the local Planning authority ,
and building regulations approval by a Full Plans Submission to the Building Control department.​

It is far safer to prepare plans and submit for building control approval, but you may have to pay someone to do these for you.
- Will have to pay someone :!:

Sponsored Links
I have a builder/bricky that I trust 100% and luckily there are no drains under it ;)

I’ll look into the Notice more I like the sound of it.

Does it matter that the house is already extended sideways? The dining room wouldn’t be joined to the existing extension

I have a builder/bricky that I trust 100% and luckily there are no drains under it ;)

Does it matter that the house is already extended sideways? The dining room wouldn’t be joined to the existing extension

It sounds like it will need planning permission.

I know youve had a bad experience with architects in the past, so I can appreciate the reluctance, but I would recommend you get building regs plans drawn up......any mistakes you make via the building notice route would be retrospective and potentially costly.

If the bifolds are quite big you might need a calc to check for lateral stability.
Also if you are having glazing more than 25% of floor area you might find elemental value approach wont work.

Last edited:
Go onto your council website and look under permitted development. From when I looked a couple of years ago there were plenty of idiot proof diagrams showing what is and what isn’t. As for building notice, this will be fine if you’re confident on the regs. If you’re slightly unsure it’s not hard to knock up your own plans and get signed off for peace of mind. Building control will still check the same stuff.... trenches, drainage, upto dpc, steels, upto roof and sign off.

If as simple as you say, a notice would probably do.

It all comes down to whether you and this bricky know what you are doing, especially with the non-bricky related stuff.

but I would recommend you get building regs plans drawn up......any mistakes you make via the building notice route would be retrospective and potentialky costly.

If the bifolds are quite big you might need a calc to check for lateral stability.
Also if you are having glazing more than 25% of floor area you might find elemental value approach wont work.
Quite right Notch7 but I think you might be wasting your time ,people seem to do what they had in mind in the first place whatever anybody says:!:

It isn't just a question of trusting the builder and bricklayers don't usually know about the various aspects of bldg. regs.
As Notch7 says -
any mistakes you make via the building notice route would be retrospective and potentially costly.
. I would get it approved under Building regs before work starts on site every time ,
but it's up to you.
ps presume you realise you have to pay a fee to building control for a building notice the same as you have to for a Full Plans Submission.
pps should we await queries on the proposed construction:?: Seasons greetings:)

Go onto your council website and look under permitted development. From when I looked a couple of years ago there were plenty of idiot proof diagrams showing what is and what isn’t.
You wouldn't think so from the number of queries on this forum about permitted development:!::D

pps should we await queries on the proposed construction:?:

Yes, that’s how I ended up on here in the first place (y)

I think i’ll have a chat with Tony once we have decided exactly what we want.

At the minute i’m thinking something similar to this but with a bigger overhang on the roof:
B4828667-D809-432F-8BEA-0CE2E61CAAFA.jpeg

Remember that you can add the areas of any windows or doors which will be removed for the extension to 25% of the floor area
to get the total allowable glazing in the extension, so it's potentially a bit more than 25% of the floor area.

I think i’ll have a chat with Tony once we have decided exactly what we want.
The problem with posting queries on a public forum like this is that any silly bugger like me can reply :!::D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back