Reasonable Quotes????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently gathering preparing to gather quotes form some local builders for a couple of jobs I need doing as we are converting what is currently a bedroom into a new bathroom, and was just looking for some advice on what would be a reasonable quote for the following. I have already applied for building regs.

1.) Cut a new window opening in side elevation of property(supply and install lintel, not sure what these cost for a window as sized below?). I have already purchased 960x1000mm obscure double glazed unit with fixings which would also need to be fitted.

2.) Groundwork for a new soil pipe. There is an existing manhole in our gravel pathway approx half a metre from the side elevation wall which the new soil pipe will be attached to and run straight down from the upstairs bathroom. This is a victorian property if this is relevant?

Any advice on either element or the project as a whole would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As site visits are required to see site conditions any price you get on here will surely be meaningless.
Get some recommendations from friends/neighbours who have had similar work done to their satisfaction and get some quotes.
I would do it for £1.75million cash.

Sponsored Links
:eek: 1.75m I think I better get saving.

Thanks for the advice, I am only really looking for some ball parks.

I'm a punter like you so always have this in the back of my mind when getting builders in to do stuff the mrs won't let me do myself.

Ball park..

Cost = materials + labour (including markup if you hire somebody to supply the same). The guys doing the actual work are paid less than you would think they are worth unless they are electricians or plumbers when they are paid more than you would think they are worth :)

For a good read with numbers which probably don't apply exactly to your situation get The Housebuilder's Bible by Mark Brinkley. This will give you a 'ball park' figure, i.e. something that will not be too many factors out.

What you are wanting to do will require building regs so you need to factor all that in i.e. also really needs to be done properly so not DIY until you have seen a couple done by others.

At the end of the day you will pay what the market will bear and what the builder reckons he can get. So get three quotes from people recommended, and I don't see any problem in going with the cheapest if the builders are known to do a good job.

As people have said, you will have difficulty getting a reasonably accurate price because of so many 'minor" things that modify the price.

Access : if you live in central Cambridge rather than the depths of rural Cambs, this make it significantly more difficult.

Distance and competition: if there are few local builders, you may find higher prices as they know others may not want to travel.

House-type: Victorian. Probably brick but could also be stone ( or wattle and daub in the Fens :D )- more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back