Opening up chimney breast for log burner - low gather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Trying to open up the chimney for a log burner but hit a problem. I’ve got this far and already hit the bottom of the gather only 80cm off the floor, this is where an old lintel currently sits.

Can I keep opening up upwards removing the gather at the side? My corner is nothing would support the bottom of the brick gather? I was hoping to sit a new lintel around 1.2m off the floor. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
IMG_2063.jpeg
IMG_2065.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2068.jpeg
    IMG_2068.jpeg
    339.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2064.jpeg
    IMG_2064.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
I had a wood burner installed last year in similar situation. They smashed out the old concrete lintel and put a new one in higher up, with wood covering. I think the opening of yours looks wider and the lintel might be thicker, so can't vouch for how well it would hold up when you remove the lintel. Not sure if this is of any use but hopefully food for thought.

Attachments

• 20221111_082912.jpg
    20221111_082912.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for the info. Did you reach your gather/smoke chamber and remove this? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back