Chimney breast lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a log burner in this opening.

It has a brick arch lintel that sits fairly low (84cm if you include the bricks at the base).

I want to install a lintel and box it off but I'm struggling to work out how I can do this in the least invasive way possible. I think at the very least it would need to sit at around 90cm which would put it at above the arch base. There's not enough overhang on those bricks to support the lintel and I don't want to compromise the arch if possible.

But I'm thinking the only real option is to support above the arch, remove it, install lintel and in fill above?

For reference the opening is 97cm and it's an external flue so the face of the chimney is bonded through the whole wall.

Attachments

• 20230103_101033.jpg
    20230103_101033.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
It may self support above the arch if the mortar is solid, so may not need propping.

You won't know until you come to do it, so may as well plan to prop it.

Two lintels if it's 9", and the bricks in the flue may need supporting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back