Rebuild top of chimney

If you want to ventilate it you can drill a hole 15mm each side below the plate at 45% angle so rain can't get down the flue. Only if you think there may be a damp issue.

Sponsored Links
thanks, I am also thinking if the plate is only 1 course above the dpc then is there any point in having the dpc
As said before the dpc worries me because it’s a small chimney and worried about it shifting

Sponsored Links
The lead tray is the DPC. It stops rain going through the brickwork and down the inside of the brick flue into the house.

Another question on this sorry, the mortar mix for the flaunching, I've got a load of plastering sand, not sure if that would be suitable? If not, is a mix of soft+sharp best?
Cheers

I mix my flaunching render with more Sbr than water,sbr slurry all pot contact areas ,inside and out and after flaunching wipe the pot joint with brush dipped in sbr, and I use sulphite resisting cement on chimney repairs.It may seem over kill but seeing the damage first hand that tar can do, I like the belt and braces approach
litl image.jpg

Thanks litl can you advise the mix and type of sand? I am sure I heard somewhere that plastering sand is a good choice as its kind of in between soft and sharp sand but I may be wrong on that. Nice job in the pic, gives me something to aim for lol

Thanks litl can you advise the mix and type of sand? I am sure I heard somewhere that plastering sand is a good choice as its kind of in between soft and sharp sand but I may be wrong on that. Nice job in the pic, gives me something to aim for lol
I dont know if the sand makes a difference if using Sbr but I use 3.5 plastering sand to 1 Sulfacrete, not to wet to avoid slump, the tacky sbr slurry on brick and pot surface will help the bond. if you use Sbr wash your tools pretty quick
litl

Building sand has more shrinkage and more likely to crack, but is easier to work with.

All done, just need to sort the flue out at the top, not perfect but I don’t reckon it’ll be going anywhere and hopefully not leak. Thanks again for the advice

Attachments

• 4A6AF177-6EEC-4771-8A33-5AC206E2B8AB.jpeg
    4A6AF177-6EEC-4771-8A33-5AC206E2B8AB.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 94

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back