Rebuilding a small wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve a small dwarf type wall at the end of my garden, backing onto a tarmac type pavement. It is mostly made up of sandstone sections and rubble, with a capping section on top. The capping section is in poor condition in many places, and the sandstone is bulging in places, so I intend to replace it.

My plan is to remove the wall but leave the foundation in place.

Then to rebuild the wall with concrete blocks and coping on top. I thought I would use the blocks on their side, so it would be around 215mm wide, and 3 courses high, coming in at just over 300mm high, plus coping. I then plan to paint it.

Having limited knowledge of building techniques and materials, I have some of questions.

Would the blocks on the ground suffer badly from frost over a few years? Is there a specific type of block that is better for this?

Would the paint be damaged by rising damp on the wall, and have a limited life? Should I put in a membrane to limit this?

Would I reseal the wall to the pavement with some type of bituminous type poured material? Any suggestions to a product for this?

Any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I’ve a small dwarf type wall at the end of my garden, backing onto a tarmac type pavement. It is mostly made up of sandstone sections and rubble, with a capping section on top. The capping section is in poor condition in many places, and the sandstone is bulging in places, so I intend to replace it.

My plan is to remove the wall but leave the foundation in place.

Then to rebuild the wall with concrete blocks and coping on top. I thought I would use the blocks on their side, so it would be around 215mm wide, and 3 courses high, coming in at just over 300mm high, plus coping. I then plan to paint it.
You can get 'paint finish' blocks. They're smoother finish and accept paint better. Otherwise blocks are quite rough to accept paint finish.

Would the blocks on the ground suffer badly from frost over a few years? Is there a specific type of block that is better for this?
Solids, as they won't show the hollows when blocks are laid on their sides.

Would the paint be damaged by rising damp on the wall, and have a limited life? Should I put in a membrane to limit this?
No membrane needed, use stone paint. The paint will have a limited life, as it's exposed to the elements from below, on top and the face.
A membrane for just two courses might have the tendency to slip.

Would I reseal the wall to the pavement with some type of bituminous type poured material? Any suggestions to a product for this?
Not needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back