rebuilding sandstone block gate posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there

looking for some advice and guidance on dismantling and rebuilding sandstone block gate posts.
gate posts are approx 1.8m high
each sandstone block is 460mm square

each post is leaning so needs rebuilding before we fit new wooden gates, although the lean does add a bit of character to the house :) we would prefer that they are vertical, you can see in one of the photos how much the current metal gates have been adjusted from vertical to compensate for the lean.

Have done lots of block work and building etc. before so happy to tackle this but would like some additional ideas before I start

looking for advice on

a) how to remove each block
b) what bonding material should we use to re seat the stones, sand cement mortar mix, grab adhesive or something else.
c) how best to replace each block in place, due to weight I'm expecting it won't be like placing a concrete block onto mortar.

options so far are use staging with very heavy duty boards and slide each block onto the staging at the right height.
then when replacing them cut thin wooden strips to the right thickness of expected mortar thickness placed at outer edge of block so that we can slide the blocks along the wood strips without disturbing too much mortar

it maybe just a case of man handling the damn things into place

or hire a lifting beam with block and tackle to lower in place but this then still leaves me with the problem of removing the lifting straps without damaging the mortar bed.

I had also thought of maybe drilling into stone and putting in some lifting eyes but that would then mean i also need a fairly high lifting beam or rig to be able to hang the very top stone, which may not be available and or may be to costly, but obviously safety being the first consideration. View media item 59508 View media item 59509

Sponsored Links
I'd get the decorative ball off the top and look at the construction before you make any decision. It's unlikely the blocks are just bedded together. You'll probably find they are post tensioned or mechanically fixed together in some way. If they are solid the easiest way to lift them with a winch is with a lewis pin. (google it) The pin sits in a drilled hole in the middle of the bed - so the next block covers the hole, and the next covers that, etc, until you finally cover the last hole with the decorative ball. There's a good chance that was how they were put together.

john

thanks for that, yes i can visualise that now, need to get the ball off the top now and see what's there.

If they are mechanically fixed together im wondering if this will be more trouble than its worth, if its just a central bar then that might be ok but if they are bolted together in some way then going by the age and the nut/bolt that holds the actual gate pivot/hinge is in then they are unlikely to dismantle without cutting the nut off.

I have tried moving the ball but not knowing how its attached is impeding me in getting it off. obviously need to tread carefully not to break them.

is it likely to just be cemented on with a central vertical bar?

if anyone has any pictures of similar deconstructed gateposts that would help me see what im up against.
i'll see how i get on today.

im sure i can fit the new gates without it as there is 100mm difference between gap at bottom and gap at top between posts but it would look so much better if they were vertical.

Thinking about the problem from a different angle, would it be possible to winch the whole thing upright then underpin it with concrete?

Sponsored Links
hi

as it happens the bottom stone is near as damn it plumb its the other stones that are leaning :) any slight variation of the bottom stone would be easily taken up with the mortar on the following courses.

but i get your plan

Not going to be easy to get it apart without some damage to the edges. Wedges are probably the best bet, but they need to be fairly wide so they don't put pressure on a small area. Tap them in gently all round and it should give.

john

much appreciate your advice / suggestions, yes i can cut some decent wedges in preparation, i had been expecting to have to dislodge them in some way but as you also mention, my concern was damage and creating more work in the end.

im certainly not defeated yet and im up for the challenge but it is starting to look like a bigggg job.

the posts themselves are sturdy and show no signs of rocking etc. and although the wooden gates we expect to use will be heavier than the metal ones they are only replacing what was originally there. in fact they are probably going to be lighter as than they are cheaper ones :(

i am now starting to think that if we can make up the 100mm or so difference between top and bottom (by allowing lots of adjustment on the gate mounting hinges we may well keep them as they are.

but its just one of those niggling things that i notice when im walking past its so obviously not vertical ahhhhhh!!!!

but will keep you posted on here how we get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back