REC dont care about earth... AND ESQCR Regs...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing some wiring for someone.. (see oh dear thread)

Loop impediance measured 5.17 iirc..

2.5mm cable as earth coming from bottom of cutout.. this measures 0.17..

except I want 16mm...

Got homeowner to ring and say that earthing was unsuitable and to come and provide an earth connection.. they say they wont as they want it in writing from a qualified electrician that its a problem and why..

What happent to competent person so long as it complies to 7671.. how can it comply if they wont provide a connection???

I spoke to my dad (works for rec - but not toy supplies like this) he said the esqcr guidelines mean they are obliged to provide an earth connection, on checking regs its got a get out clause - new buildings - not existing.. (electricity supply quality and something regs iirc)

Any suggestions.. as 'ripping' the cut out off the wall is favorite at the moment...

fooking ******s... they just dont want to do anything.

David

Sponsored Links
Blame Maggie™
Privatised companies trying to make a few more bucks. Sorry but I just hate the way RECs are being so cheapskate and irresponsible now.
Isn't it in violation of some 1989 act?

I don't understand that they should have this get out clause, like any other company they have to ensure that what they are providing is safe.

its this attitude from recs that has lead many sparkys to consider that thier only real option is to do it themselves

some sparks i know have even managed to obtain meter seals so they can seal it back up afterwards ;)

opening the cut out body is however a much more dangerous (for those not trained in live working) operation than just pulling the fuse however and is not somthing that is to be reccomended to diyers

I noticed that the cut out on my customers' install had an insufficient earth. Rang Norweb, they came and sorted it NQA!!

Gave me a nice 4 way MET AND connected up my bonding to boot! How's about that then?

Why can't they all be like this?

Sponsored Links
fookers.. they are coming to change the meter on the 10th so we will see what they have to say when they come..

David

securespark said:
I noticed that the cut out on my customers' install had an insufficient earth. Rang Norweb, they came and sorted it NQA!!

Just had a quote on replacement CU today. Customer has old Wylex CU fed through a switch fuse of 20A (Yes, folks, 20A!!) and old very thin fabric covered VIR tails and a VERY dodgy earth connection via an EC14.

I'll try and get a piccy: it would be a great talking point!

But my main gripe is that I wanted the REC to get the dodgy earth sorted out before I replace the CU.

The customers supplier is BG, so I rang them and after a lot of frating about, the put me through to an "engineer". He told me that the earthing was my responsibility and I should "just stick a spike in the ground."

When I insisted it was the REC's responsibilty now, he grudgingly gave me the number of Powergen. I rang them and an engineer there tod me that there was "F u c all wrong with an earth clamp on a supply cable".

Oh dear. I have now convinced him (I hope) to call round and inspect the sitn.

I hope they upgrade it. And this was the same REC that did such a good job as above.

SecureSpark,

Is it their responsibility now? Any proof of this? as the ESQCR give them a get out clause on exisiting installations.

David

Most REC's I have worked with will accept responsibility for supplying a Main Earth Terminal. I know of the get-out clause, but have never encountered a REC using it.

The guy from meter changing company came out today, I wasnt there but they only just managed to get him to connect the tails to the new box...

still not bothered about an earth.. he says letter to them from electrician.

So as electricians, what would you write in this letter???

David

bump, other than useless gits, come strip the outer from the cable and provide an earth or provide PME / TNC-S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links