"REC Enclosure" ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive my ignorance, and there must be a very simple answer (perhaps allegedly 'obvious', even if not to me :) ), but ...

... I've been looking at 100A standalone DP isolators. A high proportion are said to come in a "REC enclosure". What is that? (Mt Google has so far no been able to help me!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Old acronym, I believe - Regional Electricity Company. It's the standard plastic enclosure and shrouding that the switch fits into. It has the benefit of being able to accommodate a seal to prevent tampering

This Wylex info sheet sort of alludes to it.

Old acronym, I believe - Regional Electricity Company.
Thanks. With your prompt, I've been able to 'look it up' and see that you are right. I'm plenty old enough to remember back to way before the privatisation of the electricity industry but, whereas I was very familiar with the area 'Electricity Boards' (AEBs) I confess that I never noticed their being renamed as "Regional Electricity Companies" (it seems in 1990), let alone the 'acronymisation' of that to "REC" ! One learns something every day :)
It's the standard plastic enclosure and shrouding that the switch fits into. It has the benefit of being able to accommodate a seal to prevent tampering
Yes, I fully understand what they are, physically, and have used plenty of them, but was just confused by the "REC" description!
This Wylex info sheet sort of alludes to it.
That is actually one of the things I'd looked at but, just as with everything else I also looked at, it simply uses "REC" as if 'everyone knows what it means', but without explaining for the ignorant (like me!) :)

Kind Regards, John

Thanks. With your prompt, I've been able to 'look it up' and see that you are right. I'm plenty old enough to remember back to way before the privatisation of the electricity industry but, whereas I was very familiar with the area 'Electricity Boards' (AEBs) I confess that I never noticed their being renamed as "Regional Electricity Companies" (it seems in 1990), let alone the 'acronymisation' of that to "REC" ! One learns something every day :)

Yes, I fully understand what they are, physically, and have used plenty of them, but was just confused by the "REC" description!

That is actually one of the things I'd looked at but, just as with everything else I also looked at, it simply uses "REC" as if 'everyone knows what it means', but without explaining for the ignorant (like me! Macbeth) :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
AIUI the enclosure supplied as part of the wyles "REC" isolators is designed specifically for the application of a demarcation point provided by the electricity supply company between meter and CU. This means a few differences compared to an ordinary modular din rail enclosure.

1. The enclosure is specifically designed for "meter tails" rather than having general purpose round knockouts or no knockouts at all.
2. The cover is made in two parts, so the load terminals can be connected/disconnected without exposing the supply terminals.
3. The cover is designed to acommodate seals.

AIUI the enclosure supplied as part of the wyles "REC" isolators is designed specifically for the application of a demarcation point provided by the electricity supply company between meter and CU. This means a few differences compared to an ordinary modular din rail enclosure.
1. The enclosure is specifically designed for "meter tails" rather than having general purpose round knockouts or no knockouts at all.
2. The cover is made in two parts, so the load terminals can be connected/disconnected without exposing the supply terminals.
3. The cover is designed to acommodate seals.
Yes, as I wrote to wunderboy, I understand all that - it was merely the meaning of "REC" that I was asking about.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back