Recharging the expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Range Tribune HE direct 150 litre unvented cylinder that has recently stopped producing hot water. (See photo enclosed)

I suspect it is the expansion vessel at fault. My plan is as follows.
- check immersion heaters have a current to make sure they are not at fault.
- turn off water supply to flat
- prod the middle point of expansion vessel where air can be pumped in to look for any bubbles being released. If so purchase another expansion vessel.
- if nothing happens take out vessel and drain of all water.
- Put it back up and pump to 3 bar with a bike pump.
- turn on water supplies.

Please let me know if this is a viable plan and if not what else I should do. If it is complicated I think I will call a plumber.

Attachments

• IMG_20240126_072130263.jpg
    IMG_20240126_072130263.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
A very poor install, but the expansion vessel will never affect production of hot water, you dont have hot water is nothing to do with the expansion vessel

Who is it that keep fitting these EV's resting on the cylinder, especially when there seems to be 2 perfectly good wooden batons there to be used!!
if not what else I should do
You need to call a bod that's qualified to work on unvented cylinders I'm afraid. If there's water from the hot tap but it's cold then it's the heat source that's at fault probably.

Unfortunately, there is nothing on that system that falls within the realms of a DIY repair.

Sponsored Links
A very poor install, but the expansion vessel will never affect production of hot water, you dont have hot water is nothing to do with the expansion vessel
Better point is a balanced cold supply taken off the pressure reducing valve. Fail to see the reason for having another PRV on the supply pipe.

How do I determine what is wrong then?

Also DP - can you explain what you mean in layman terms? I'm not sure what you mean.
What is the way to check if you are right?

Check you have current to immersion heaters .
If you have two the bottom one may be on a night time tariff so could appear dead but is not .
Has the immersion heater a pop out stat inside ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back