Fitting an Expansion Vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are having a potable water expansion vessel fitted to our Megaflo unvented hot water cylinder so as to avoid having to go through the process of re-forming the air bubble every 6 months.

Our plumber is certified to work on unvented hot water systems.

Due to congestion in the cupboard, where the tank is located, there will be approximately 0.5m of 22mm copper pipe running along horizontally and then approximately 1m of 22mm copper pipe rising up vertically to the bottom of the expansion vessel. The expansion vessel will be fitted to the wall.

What I was wondering, and what the plumber was not sure about, was will the vertical section of pipe, going up to the vessel, ever fill with water due to trapped air ?

If this is the case will the vessel still absorb any expansion due to the water being heated ?

The top of the expansion vessel will be below the water level in the Megaflo tank.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I had to buy the parts and will have to squeeze into the cupboard - the plumber said he will sign it off for me if I do all the awkward work.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Should we aim to keep the distance from the water flow path to the expansion vessel to the minimum to reduce the amount of trapped air or will the vessel still work i.e. the trapped air will push against the bladder inside the expansion vessel when the water begins to heat up ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back