Reclaimed parquet..Preparation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All - First post here so please bare with me

A while ago I bought some reclaimed Iroko parquet flooring and am just getting round to thinking about laying it.
My reason for joining and making this post is that unfortunately someone has laid carpet tiles on top of the floor at some point so there is carpet tile adhesive on the top of the wood.
As I see it my options are:
1.) lay the floor as normal and then chemically remove the adhesive with glue remover (which would be messy and potentially stain the wood)
2.) lay the floor as normal and use the floor sander to get rid of this (this is the one I would prefer to do - but would the adhesive clog the paper too quickly and make this a pain?)
3.) Painstakingly scrape off the adhesive of each block with a blade before fitting
4.) Use a planer/thicknesser to take the adhesive off

Comments/suggestions most welcome!

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
A planer or thicknesser will probably clog on the adhesive, and you'll possibly have a heck of a clean-up problem. Is the adhesive a solvent-based one, such as Evostik, or it it a compound with a filler in it, such as latex floor levelling compound? If it is a contact adhesive I think I'd risk using a solvent cleaner to get the majority of the glue off, otherwise I'd scrape as much off as possible and pick the rest up with a sander after it's laid. You can extend the life of your belts by cleaning them with a crepe cleaning stick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back