Reclaimed Wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

What are people's thoughts on reclaimed Wood? I have been told you can get stuff cheaper and get more than a wood yard in these places. So I am wondering what to expect as I am thinking of going to one either at weekend or during the week...

I have found this place which seems to suggest that it will have lots of variation on wood and other things for artists and carving. So I am guessing some unique bits of wood too.

http://www.communitywoodrecycling.org.uk/buy-wood/

Any suggestions or what to expect would be great.

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
No reason why you shouldn't use it, but I'd select what I wanted very carefully to sift through the rubbish that is sure to be in there.
Watch for nails / screws still in the timber to protect your tools or whatever, and if there's any sign of furniture beetle present then walk away. The timber may not have any treatment such as tanalising, of course.
Just because timber is old and thought to be stable, it doesn't need to be - I had some iroko lab bench tops that were 25 years old and completely flat......put them through a circular saw and the planks warped like a dogs hind leg :eek:
John :)

I will do thanks for the advice.

I would have thought they would have taken that sort of stuff out and only sell the stuff which is viable.

That's not good especially when your paying for it they should be more stringent about the wood they are putting up to sell.

I will have a good look at the wood before purchasing. I presume it's much cheaper than new wood?

Thanks

James

I bought a couple of bundles of 6" fence posts......in the middle of each bundle were three unusable ones :eek:
They will exchange, no trouble but there are transport costs involved!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yeah it's good that they will exchange. I think I will just check everything before purchase. This sounds like the best option all round. Plus the place is about 10 minutes drive from me so it's not too far if I do find anything.

Thanks

James

The wood is cheap for a reason.

If you want it sorted, denailed, treated, etc, you pay more

I get that it's cheap for a reason and don't mind taking a few nails etc out I was just wondering if it's OK to use etc.

Good idea foxhole, they look awesome! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back