Reclaiming Bank Charges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of beginning this. However, we are also in the middle of a change-over period from one bank to another. We have opened another account and that provider is communicating with the "old" bank with regard to swapping DD's over.

If the account is closed before my initial banck charges claim letter is received by the old bank, can they refuse to deal with the claim?

Sponsored Links
hi securespark

i did this about 9 months ago and i thought they had put a stop on claiming them back.

No. The furthest back you can claim is 6 years on any account whether you're still with the bank or not.
But all claims are on hold at the moment anyway. They might submit and let you have your money back, but once you send the letter threatening court action, then you'll become part of the backlog of 1,000's of people who are awaiting the outcoime of the high court case.

But all claims are on hold at the moment anyway

thought i had heard that just after i got my money back.

Sponsored Links
Click the "Reclaim Your Bank Charges" link (Martin Lewis) at the top of the page.

It gives you all the uptodate info. It does say there is a hold on claims, but it's still important to "get in the queue".

Move all your day to day banking to your new bank but keep the old account running albeit with just a few quid in it.

I followed Martin Lewis' advice, good advice too.... except for the bit where you send the bank a cheque for a tenner to cover their admin costs !! i, quickly, got all my copy statements back, and found that i'd only had one £28 charge in the last 6 years, and can i be @rsed to claim that? No! So i just sent a tenner for nowt !

Back