Recommendation for a mobile phone for senior citizen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above. Looking for a replacement mobile phone for the MIL. She currently has a 10 year old flip phone but it’s dying. I gave her an iPhone to try out but she just looked at it for three weeks and gave it back.
Looking for a flip phone that she can just open and talk - nothing complicated like pressing a green button to answer the thing! Must be 4G as many of the cheapies are either 2G or 3G. Would like one that we could track her with as she has been getting more 'forgetful' over the last couple of years. The easier and simpler to use, the better.

Has anyone on here bought one or have elderly parents that use one?

Sponsored Links
+1 for Doro, they are designed for this job. Just make sure she is keeping it charged. If she just puts it down absent mindedly it will soon run down and she'll be out of contact.

Sponsored Links
I've only had experience with Doro once, and it was bad.

So bad that CPW gave us a full refund after two years and we started again with Motorola smart phones instead.

The good news was we managed to teach old dogs new tricks. They can at least navigate the basic functions of them.

I don't know the brands, but there are a few unlocked 4G flip phones on Amazon. Whether they all answer/ kill calls on opening or closing I'm not sure.

I've only had experience with Doro once, and it was bad.

So bad that CPW gave us a full refund after two years and we started again with Motorola smart phones instead.

The good news was we managed to teach old dogs new tricks. They can at least navigate the basic functions of them.

I don't know the brands, but there are a few unlocked 4G flip phones on Amazon. Whether they all answer/ kill calls on opening or closing I'm not sure.
A lot of people rate them but the most recent feedback for them on Trustpilot is worrying. The responses from Doro seem to be taking the pîss out of those that complain. Not the kind of reply from 'customer care' you expect to get.
"Reply from Doro AB
21 Jul 2022
Hi John
this is not a response
I just want you to have a good day.
Kind regards Lars at Doro"

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.doro.com

Last edited:
I bought a Doro smart phone for my 86 year old dad. It was terrible, bad at everything and really confusing. I swapped it for an older iphone which he loves

She's not smart enough for a smart phone - already tried that.

Even one with a "simple" launcher?

You can download launchers aimed at the elderly with much simplified screens and large icons. Some have the option of displaying large pictures of relatives that are dialled when the picture is tapped.

Some phone brands come with an "easy" mode built in, like Samsung and Huawei.

Her number one 'must have' is that it’s a flip phone. She's a non-techie oldie who just won’t/cant learn anything new. She'll hardly be making any calls and just wants to open a flip and talk. I’ve tried her with an iPhone and She couldn’t grasp it. I bought her an iPad a few years ago so that our kids could email her pictures of her grandchildren. We have to show her how to open an email every single time we go round there. That’s all she uses it for. She's never sent an email on her own or looked at anything on the internet. I'm dealing with that level of ability.

My mum's older but she's the opposite - Facebook, Google, WhatsApp, Amazon, ordering groceries etc. she's never off the bloody thing!

Screenshot_20220803-084250.png

Last edited:
I recently got my dad a doro 6060 flip and he likes it, they are also quite loud so he is able to hear when using it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back