Dog annoyed by phones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If someone dares to walk past in the road, chatting on a phone, she remonstrates with them (barks). If one of us so much as picks either a mobile up or a landline phone, she runs up the stairs to sit on the landing, until the phone is put down.

Some TV programs and adverts have a similar effect, if phones ring on there. Just watching 'Bangers and Cash', their phone rang in that, her snoring on her bed - up she jumps, looks at me in total disgust and heads for the stairs - until she realised it was on TV and came back to her bed.

It all began, when we used to be troubled by up to ten spam calls per day - until I bought a set of phones with a built in call blocker.

SWMBO has been taking her for long walks twice a day, to try to exercise some surplus weight off her - the dogs weight that is, SWMBO has no surplus at all. It's working, she has lost a stone. The recent rain means she insisted the dog had a raincoat, so I ordered her a wax jacket. That arrived yesterday, so I put it on her. She has never had a coat on before, but she didn't object - she just stood there, completely unmoving, with 'that look on her face' which said what now?

Sponsored Links
SWMBO has been taking her for long walks twice a day, to try to exercise some surplus weight off her - the dogs weight that is, SWMBO has no surplus at all. It's working, she has lost a stone. The recent rain means she insisted the dog had a raincoat, so I ordered her a wax jacket. That arrived yesterday, so I put it on her. She has never had a coat on before, but she didn't object - she just stood there, completely unmoving, with 'that look on her face' which said what now?
When I used to go mountain walking, when I took the dog, he'd wear a doggy vest with pockets, he'd carry his own water, bowl, food and the first aid kit.
He was content to carry it. Whenever you put it on him, he knew he was off out with you.
The same apples to a muzzle, they quickly associate wearing a muzzle means they're going out.

SWMBO needs to understand a dogs fur is nothing like human hair. Little wonder she, the dog that is gave you "The look".
My old dog would run to the front door barking if there was a door bell or knock on a door in a TV program then walk back to me and stand there wondering why I hadn`t gotten up off the sofa which always made me laugh. She refused point blank to go out for a walk if it was hammering down outside as well.

SWMBO needs to understand a dogs fur is nothing like human hair. Little wonder she, the dog that is gave you "The look".
My old dog would run to the front door barking if there was a door bell or knock on a door in a TV program then walk back to me and stand there wondering why I hadn`t gotten up off the sofa which always made me laugh. She refused point blank to go out for a walk if it was hammering down outside as well.

She (the dog) has a lot of hair and can get very wet, it can take many hours for her to dry off - so I understand they why. I bought her the lightest coat I could find, the local pet shop only had the thick padded coats for the cold weather. SWMBO only moved down here 18 months ago from Edinburgh, so she is very much finding her way around the local area, so welcomes the long walks in the countryside. She managed to get completely lost on Saturday, ending up in the next village.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like SWMBO needs a tracker collar then you could direct her home on the mobile. :whistle:

You can get dog blowers that blow warm/cold air and they work well.

Re the phones you need to fake calls more, get her more used to it, give her a treat if she ignores it etc.

[QUOTE="mattylad, post: 5004671,]

Re the phones you need to fake calls more, get her more used to it, give her a treat if she ignores it etc.[/QUOTE]
I agree, one sits on the sofa and holds the dog by the collar to stop it running away whilst the other makes the call, then reassure the dog all is well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our dog has a coat for when it’s cold and a coat for when it’s hot. It has to be real extremes of temperatures though.

EFB7FDE8-A4B8-4816-ACE8-2314A6A489F9.jpeg
CDD75468-489A-4F9F-A3D0-04C9A71AB357.jpeg

She also had a hooded drying coat for when she’s been out for a walk in the cold rain. She loves it when we get it out and she’d spend all day in it if we let her! Something like this.

You can get dog blowers that blow warm/cold air and they work well.

Re the phones you need to fake calls more, get her more used to it, give her a treat if she ignores it etc.

I agree, one sits on the sofa and holds the dog by the collar to stop it running away whilst the other makes the call, then reassure the dog all is well.

We are doing that, but she has always been a highly strung border collie. The other thing she does is when ever we (partner AND i) ever get involved in a discussion, she sense a disagreement (not an argument) coming on and likewise flies up the stairs. She used to be much worse, if you left the bathroom door open she would hide in the bath.

She also had a hooded drying coat for when she’s been out for a walk in the cold rain. She loves it when we get it out and she’d spend all day in it if we let her!

That is the very same look she gave me (photo above), when I checked the fit of the new rain coat I had bought her :) She wore it for her evening walk today for the first time, as it was threatening. She seemed fine with it. same style as that light blue coat, but with a shallow hood to cover the neck and a handy pocket for a 'take-away' bag.

Sponsored Links
Back