Village of Dementia?

The police picked my nan up one night, in her nightie, walking from Chelmsford to Colchester, to go home.

I watched a good video on YT last week (was dementia awareness week) that helps to explain these things. As the brain deteriorates, you lose short term memory, then all recent memories, and it goes back. My nan hadn't lived in Colchester for about 60 years when she was picked up. The lady in the hedge was probably thinking she was decades younger - maybe she did once have lodgers in the loft!

In some ways, dementia is a good reason to find a forever home as soon as possible. It will catch up with many that escape heart failure and the big C. My nan's doc said she had the fittest and healthiest body of any 90 year old he'd seen, but her brain was dying.

Sponsored Links
They are going to have a sit down with their brother on Thursday and try to get the lazy git to pop in for a decent amount of time, on one day at the weekend - he's always 'busy'. :evil:
The good news is he won't be busy when it's time to start dividing the poor old dears possessions among the 'grieving' family

I watched a good video on YT last week (was dementia awareness week) that helps to explain these things. As the brain deteriorates, you lose short term memory, then all recent memories, and it goes back. My nan hadn't lived in Colchester for about 60 years when she was picked up. The lady in the hedge was probably thinking she was decades younger - maybe she did once have lodgers in the loft!

Unlikely, it was a small unconverted bungalow. She also happened to spot what I assumed was a burglar alarm flashing away near the apex and she wondered what it was and she couldn't remember who, or when it was fitted.

It's not at all obvious at first, in a casual conversation that they are sufferers, I almost walked on assuming she was OK and actually waiting for perhaps a lift despite the strange hour. Only when she mentioned she was waiting for the police, did I question her further and realise anything was amiss.

Sponsored Links
If I saw a lady hiding in a hedge at 0230, I wouldn't assume she was OK!

Gasp! - it would be cheaper to simply find someone willing yourself..
It would, that.
But that's in extremis for patients who require 24-hour supervision; and it can be a lot more than that, especially in the Southern Counties. Mostly, people will hire a carer on minimum wage for a couple hours a day, cooking, cleaning, shopping, that sort of thing. Even then, at £15 an hour, £30 a day x 7, adds up to a fat chunk of anyone's weekly income.

It would, that.
But that's in extremis for patients who require 24-hour supervision; and it can be a lot more than that, especially in the Southern Counties. Mostly, people will hire a carer on minimum wage for a couple hours a day, cooking, cleaning, shopping, that sort of thing. Even then, at £15 an hour, £30 a day x 7, adds up to a fat chunk of anyone's weekly income.

24 hour care, is the point where they really need to be in a suitable place where 24 hour care is available - a care home. Problem is they are so expensive, but very profitable for the owners.

24 hour care, is the point where they really need to be in a suitable place where 24 hour care is available - a care home. Problem is they are so expensive, but very profitable for the owners.
I agree, but some prefer to remain in their home and sleep in their own bed. A friend of mine tried to persuade her mother to move into a care home to no avail. I'd help out but respected her decision to stay until she had a bad fall one night and it became clear she had to move into a care home. She died less than a year later, aged 96. A good life but i think she regretted not having her own roof over head at the end.

I agree, but some prefer to remain in their home and sleep in their own bed. A friend of mine tried to persuade her mother to move into a care home to no avail. I'd help out but respected her decision to stay until she had a bad fall one night and it became clear she had to move into a care home. She died less than a year later, aged 96. A good life but i think she regretted not having her own roof over head at the end.
Had a similar situation with my mother. Had times when clear and aware. 1 of those was towards the end, she knew what was happening and wanted to be in her own home at the end.

Got her there, for about her last 3 weeks (very expensive care cover but worth it. Couldn't have afforded it for months/years though). Horrible situation from every angle

Had a similar situation with my mother. Had times when clear and aware. 1 of those was towards the end, she knew what was happening and wanted to be in her own home at the end.

Got her there, for about her last 3 weeks (very expensive care cover but worth it. Couldn't have afforded it for months/years though). Horrible situation from every angle
Did you not have health cover?
It can cushion the blow.

My mother in law has been in a very good home for the last 4 years. It isn't ideal from the our point of view and we do feel guilty about having her in there. But in our defence we are not qualified to look after her as she is. She does not recognise my wife nor me. She gets violent, well as violent as a 94 year can be and prior to her going in to the home she did wander about at all hours of the day sometimes needing a call to the police. But she is well looked after but it does cost us £3000 a month and, apparently, that is quite cheap.

A staff that have left due to government meddling in making the jab mandatory, who are never coming back.

A staff that have left due to government meddling in making the jab mandatory, who are never coming back.

Probably better without staff who have more concerns about themselves, than the people they are employed to care for - concerns based on foolish rumours about the covid jabs.

Sponsored Links
Back