I don't believe this teasing dog.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Border collie bitch.

She goes in the kitchen, where she often manages to scrounge a treat from SWMBO, she then grabs and runs round to the living room, where I usually am and where she has one of her beds in the corner. She always pauses on the way past me, to show me what she has scrounged - with a 'look what I got' look, before settling on her bed to enjoy the treat.

We have just started to give her hide chews, she has always had pretty foul breath. I have always avoided giving them, because some say they are bad for dogs. She absolutely loves them and the chews have sorted her bad breath out too (the dog that is).

The chews last her for several days, often she brings it out to show and tease me with it, coming close as if offering it, then as you reach out as if to grab it, she runs away (again the dog).

This is the same dog which sits at the gate and barks at anyone passing whilst using a mobile, then turns to look back at the living room window, to see if I have heard her. Waggle a finger through the window and back in she comes.

Sponsored Links
I've never owned a dog, we've always had cats because that's the wife's preference, plus,, we work full time so keeping a dog wouldn't be fair on the animal.

But if i ever do get a dog, it would be a black and white collie. From the many I've met and got to know and befriend through their owners, usually customers, they are the most loyal, affectionate and intelligent dogs I've come across. Completely ******* mental with severe OCD issues, but great dogs nonetheless.

The first one I encountered as a pup, now nearing the end of her life at 13, still active and healthy but slowing down a lot, would watch me all day working, I'd have to take the occasional five minutes off to throw a frisby or tennis ball, then she'd sit and wait, and stare at me until I did it again. She would play from morning till midnight if you played along.
Having a few sheep, the owners started to have her trained to round up the sheep. She'd do that, efficiently, but when you left, she'd open the gate, release all the sheep just so she could round them up all over again, and again ad infinitum. Beautiful dogs.

Border collie bitch.

She goes in the kitchen, where she often manages to scrounge a treat from SWMBO, she then grabs and runs round to the living room, where I usually am and where she has one of her beds in the corner. She always pauses on the way past me, to show me what she has scrounged - with a 'look what I got' look, before settling on her bed to enjoy the treat.

We have just started to give her hide chews, she has always had pretty foul breath. I have always avoided giving them, because some say they are bad for dogs. She absolutely loves them and the chews have sorted her bad breath out too (the dog that is).

The chews last her for several days, often she brings it out to show and tease me with it, coming close as if offering it, then as you reach out as if to grab it, she runs away (again the dog).

This is the same dog which sits at the gate and barks at anyone passing whilst using a mobile, then turns to look back at the living room window, to see if I have heard her. Waggle a finger through the window and back in she comes.
Sounds like a dog with a personality. (y) I’d be careful with the hide chews though, they can be dangerous. Our dogs favourite treat is a stick of dried tripe. We call it a sick of stink for obvious reasons. :rolleyes:

I've never owned a dog, we've always had cats because that's the wife's preference, plus,, we work full time so keeping a dog wouldn't be fair on the animal.

But if i ever do get a dog, it would be a black and white collie. From the many I've met and got to know and befriend through their owners, usually customers, they are the most loyal, affectionate and intelligent dogs I've come across. Completely ******* mental with severe OCD issues, but great dogs nonetheless.

The first one I encountered as a pup, now nearing the end of her life at 13, still active and healthy but slowing down a lot, would watch me all day working, I'd have to take the occasional five minutes off to throw a frisby or tennis ball, then she'd sit and wait, and stare at me until I did it again. She would play from morning till midnight if you played along.
Having a few sheep, the owners started to have her trained to round up the sheep. She'd do that, efficiently, but when you left, she'd open the gate, release all the sheep just so she could round them up all over again, and again ad infinitum. Beautiful dogs.

Definitely not the dog for you, unless / until you and / or your wife pack up work.

Sponsored Links

Thats the only dog my wife would have if we could have one. Sadly we can't because my youngest stepson has a deep rooted phobia about all dogs, even little pups.

My first experience of a BC, was a pup my uncle had got and on his farm in the wilds of Yorkshire, where we would visit, sometimes stay for the school holidays. I was about five and would sit cross-legged on the floor, the little pup would sit on my legs and follow me wherever I went on the farm. We always had some breed of dog as I grew up, but never a BC. As an adult and single, I never had a dog.

Once settled we were given surplus family dogs. The first BC only survived 3 years and had to be put down with a brain tumour. Now that dog really was incredibly clever- She loved water and having a bath, she would sit and wait at the side as I had one, if I ducked my head under she would gently grab my nose and pull me up. When she had a bath, you could tell her to blow bubbles and she would duck her nose in and blow bubbles. At the end you could tell her to pull the plug out and she would grab the plug and pull it out. In the back seat of the car, she somehow learned to open the electric windows with the buttons. I used to give a single ring on the phone, when I was on my way home from work - she soon latched on to that and would meet me at the gate. We later had her brother, but he was very aloof - only became attached to the females. He lasted until 16, in August last year, after collapsing several times.

Present teasing bitch, is the step sister of that male. She came her at 6 months old and a tiny little thing, runt of the litter. She arrived just before we were to take off for a couple of weeks in the tourer caravan down in south Wales. Long drive, so we pulled into a lay-by in the early hours, to sleep in the caravan, in a sleeping bag. She wouldn't settle, so I put her on top of my sleeping bag, she still wouldn't settle and was shaking with cold, so I stuffed her down inside and she was asleep in minutes. She hasn't left my side since then. When she came here, she was tiny enough to be able to sit on my knee, she is now massive, but still tries to curl up on my knees. She is very good at picking up and understanding words/speech.

Border Collies....one of the most intelligent dogs, very high energy.

Impossible to wear out, need loads of stimulation or they may suffer stress.

Greyhounds on the other hand....very low energy dogs

I remember watching a programme a few years ago, I think it was called Dog Borstal or something.

Anyway, one of the trainers was asked if she liked Border Collies and she replied that, yes, she loved them but would never get one herself as she didn't want a dog that was more intelligent than she was :LOL:

Thats the only dog my wife would have if we could have one. Sadly we can't because my youngest stepson has a deep rooted phobia about all dogs, even little pups.

Have you considered getting rid of the son?
A dog is a wonderful companion lolz....

Only joking...

As much as I'd love a collie I just couldn't giver it the excercise it needs, my SIL has about 6 of them, she has them all well trained (apparently) and exhibits them at crufts on the agility courses.
She must have feck all to do otherwise lol

Sponsored Links
Back