Dog's and beds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our BC, follows us up to bed, and sleeps on the bare carpet, either near the bed, or on the stair landing. She is quite vocal, in that she often has a good long moan about life in general. Until a couple of years ago we had two BC's, and so two memory foam beds for them downstairs, so the surplus bed was moved upstairs for her to sleep on. She would sometimes sleep on it when it was downstairs in the kitchen. Once upstairs, she refused to even step on it.

Under the bed, when in the kitchen, we had placed a folded up old quilt, in a folded cover. When in the kitchen, she would happily sit on that, whilst waiting for her own dinner to be prepped. So we moved the quilt upstairs, expecting her to happily enjoy the comfort of that. Nope, she carefully avoided it. Opened it out, so it was twice as big, and even more difficult to avoid, and she jumps over it, rather than even walk over it. Open it out even more, and she has no choice, but to walk across it, then she pushes it out of the way, to sleep on the carpet. I give in, she's just odd...

Folding up the caravan awning, when it's difficult to stop it blowing about. Ask her to sit on a corner of that, and she's more than happy to help.

Sponsored Links
Our Susie has a bed in the kitchen;

IMG_5737.jpeg

A bed in the lounge;

IMG_5735.jpeg

But most of the time she spends on the sofa with me;

IMG_5734.jpeg

She sleeps in the kitchen during the night and whoever gets up first out of Mrs Mottie or me, has to put a throw on the bed so that she can come up and spend time on the bed in the morning. If the throw is not on the bed (or the sofa), she won’t get up but 'bounces' and makes a noise until the 'blankey' is placed for her to get on!

Back in the 70s my folks ran a pub, my dog used to sleep at the end of my bed, about half an hour after closing time he would trot downstairs for his constitutional walk, my mum always reckoned he could tell the time, but more than likely he heard the noise from the bar quieten down

Back in the 70s my folks ran a pub, my dog used to sleep at the end of my bed, about half an hour after closing time he would trot downstairs for his constitutional walk, my mum always reckoned he could tell the time, but more than likely he heard the noise from the bar quieten down

I cook dinner, ready for Avril's return home, just after 6pm. I set the TV, to auto switch channels to BBC 1 and the news at 6pm, whether the cooking stage or the start of the news, she gets up and wants to go out to greet her coming in through the gate.

After dinner, my stirring of the coffee, is her clue that we are adjourning to the living room, for coffee.
She sleeps in the kitchen during the night and whoever gets up first out of Mrs Mottie or me, has to put a throw on the bed so that she can come up and spend time on the bed in the morning. If the throw is not on the bed (or the sofa), she won’t get up but 'bounces' and makes a noise until the 'blankey' is placed for her to get on!

She rarely jumps on our bed, even if invited. When she does, it's usually when it has just been vacated, or she has deliberately got you out of bed, so she can jump in.

Sponsored Links
I can echo Mottie for my Alfie (GSD).
He has beds downstairs, in our bedroom, in my attic room etc.
Uses them all.
Although at about 3am-4am pops on our bed in between our feet for the warmth I assume.
I can often come into the living room and find I don't have anywhere to sit because a dog is in my seat.

I can echo Mottie for my Alfie (GSD).
He has beds downstairs, in our bedroom, in my attic room etc.
Uses them all.
Although at about 3am-4am pops on our bed in between our feet for the warmth I assume.
I can often come into the living room and find I don't have anywhere to sit because a dog is in my seat.
I absolutely love GSDs, I often watch youtube vids of them, so full of character and intelligence.

A bit big for my house so we’ve a small dog (Portuguese Podengo)

As much as I love alfie I don't think I will get another GSD, our next dog is going to have to be one of those horrible little ankle biting things that need little walking.
We are no longer upto the task of big walks unfortunatly.

My dog has one bed in the rear hall, which is next to the kitchen. That's his domain, rear hall and kitchen.
We have a child gate in the corridor to keep him away from the front hall, which also is where the bedrooms are.
He has also made himself a bed (old cardigan and old kids blanket) that he's piled by the kitchen French doors, so he has a spot to look outside. The inner rear hall has no windows, so always nice and dark, and cool.
He's only allowed in the lounge with adult supervision, and usually sits between my legs if I have them up, or on the sofa with the nice fleece.

He has also made himself a bed (old cardigan and old kids blanket) that he's piled by the kitchen French doors, so he has a spot to look outside. The inner rear hall has no windows, so always nice and dark, and cool.

No French windows, no glass at all at her eye level. Too take a peek out, she jumps up on a settee, in the living room, in the bay. Left at home, she always likes to watch you depart through the front gate.

Our late cat would wait until we were both quiet watching TV rather late, then make a howling noise as for food, but it was just to make us check there was some for the night, then he'd adopt sleep position. That was either the toe of the bed, wife's side, or across the landing so we had to step over hm. Or one step down. A long cat, he filled a stair. If the first to the bedroom said "alright mog" he'd make one of those prrreeeoruw noises without putting his head up.
If he went off for a scoff in the night we'd feel the plonk on the bed when he came back, then he'd purr for a minute or so until he fell asleep again.

I'm watching this thread with interest. The other half wants a dog. I'm not a fan of dogs, if anyone gets bitten it's usually me and the owners always say "he's never done that before". They must smell the fear.

I've said we can get one, but it has to be a proper medium sized dog, not some cat sized dog and my other rule is not in the bedroom. My understanding is that they tend to be c*** blockers? or get confused about their role and place in the pack if they sleep on the bed.

If your wanting a dog then go for one that does not shed it's hair.

Both mine do and its terrible to keep up with, a vacuum killer.

Our working cocker rarely sheds any hair although if you wanted one that just needs a short walk every other day, don't get a working cocker as they need a minimum of one hour free running every day and they'll let you know if you short-change them!

I quite like some of the xxx-poodle breeds, but I hear Labradoodles are a bit challenged personality wise and high maintenance.

Sponsored Links
Back