Recommendation room thermostat which can be controlled using an app when away from home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My aim is able to see what room temperature it is and set the required temperature when away from home.

My setup is Greenstar 30CDI System boiler, separate hot (middle floor) & cold (loft) water tanks, gravity fed.
Currently have Honeywell Home Thermostat DT200 = T6620B1008 (battery powered) & Honeywell ST9400C Programmer, see photos for wiring setup

Appreciate recomendation for a simple replacement of the thermostat with minimum wiring change.
Or would it be better to change the programmer as well?

We have Wifi in the house

Many thanks

Attachments

• Honeywell Home Thermostat T40.jpg
    Honeywell Home Thermostat T40.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Honeywell ST9400C Programmer.jpg
    Honeywell ST9400C Programmer.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
Hive? The room stat replaces the programmer. The wiring is easy - I think the wiring is the same on your programmer as the hive - mine was anyway. Plenty of knowledgeable members on here that will help you out if you have any problems. You'll need the hive hub as well If you want to control it away from home. If you have a hot water tank you’ll need a dual channel kit.

I believe this is the kit you need and it comes with the hive hub.

Last edited:
By the look of your wiring it looks like you have a Y plan system, there are many internet systems but you will require a Dual channel unit, like Nest or Hive and not just a thermostat unless you want to keep the existing programmer and just change the thermostat then look at Nest E

Hotwater will be off when away from home, so no need to control this.

Sponsored Links
Hotwater will be off when away from home, so no need to control this.
That may be so but its nice to be able to turn the hot water on before returning home.

Any of Hive, Nest, Tado or Wiser would fit your needs. However Hive or Wiser are easier to install as their wiring is identical to your existing setup, you may even find either fit directly onto your existing back plate. If not it's a simple swap.

Interesting question, there is simple telemetry, you open app in phone and switch it on/off. Also could switch up/down, and then there is the geofencing, where it detects where your phones are and automatically turns the heating on/off or up/down.

The one I have has no distance control, I set an Eco setting and a Comfort setting, and before I arrive home it switches to comfort, but not far enough away from my home to heat up the house enough before I get home, I have Nest Gen 3, which is a but useless.

The Energenie MiHome TRV's can also be set up with IFTTT to auto switch between two settings using geofencing. It does not need to be the wall thermostat.

In the summer I look at the TRV Heating not keeping up.jpg and if the room is too warm, I turn on the AC unit, so I can use the information to manually turn on devices.

It seems some geofencing allows you to set distance from home at which it turns on. But in real terms, when I come home, rooms are not all used together, likely only kitchen and living room for quite some time, I may latter want to use craft room, office or bedrooms, however my boiler is simple on/off, it does not modulate, with a modulating boiler room by room control is a better option.

So using TRV we have:-
Energenie which does not need to connect to a wall thermostat, and has rather OTT anti hysteresis software, I have these so know what they are like. But also we have.
Tado
Hive
Honeywell EvoHome
Drayton Wiser
It is claimed Drayton Wiser has smart software to work out when to start heating so warm on time?

For wall thermostats without links to TRV's we also have Nest and Moes, the latter I think is zigbee enabled, so may interconnect with other devices.

Although I don't like Nest, I must say the built in PIR does mean if some one is home without they phone being switched on, it will work as you walk past the wall unit, this however can also be a minus point, when the local EE mast failed in last years winds, it was nearly 24 hours before I realised the thermostat was going into Eco mode as it did not know I was home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back