Speed of wireless CH thermostat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a Horstmann RF Programmable room thermostat HSFS1 to my mothers house, there is also a Honeywell Y6630D Wireless room thermostat and programmer which are fitted in parallel. The idea was the times are set so during the day the living room temperature is monitored and during the night the hall temperature is monitored I intended to move the Honeywell Y6630D Wireless room thermostat into the bedroom, but not got around to it yet.

At first I found the Horstmann RF Programmable room thermostat HSFS1 was allowing the room to get quite cool before kicking in, and also quite warm before switching off. However simply moving it closer to the radiator, and compensating by lifting the temperature a degree, it seemed to work well.

However the other day I had to visit late at night, so as a one off raised the temperature setting, and waited for the boiler to kick in before going home. However although the rotating wheel on the remote unit showed it was calling for heat, I was only getting the single red lamp on the receiver, the green light was not lighting.

Quick temp fix I used the other thermostat with Plus 1 hour function, with intention of going back to see what was wrong. However I can monitor mother’s living room temperature from my house with the pet cam so I know the thermostat is working and keeping the room warm.

I took the Horstmann RF Programmable room thermostat HSFS1 remote unit right next to the wired unit and still no green light, but I did not wait very long. Instructions show how the temperature span can be selected, I think from memory it was set to 0.5°C and also to 7 day programming. And also to heating rather than cooling the instructions don’t explain what changes when set to cooling, I would expect some time delay?

So my problem is I don’t know what to expect. On changing the temperature on the remote unit how long should it take before the relay switches, and the green tell tail light comes on? At home my thermostat is wired so there is no delay. But I can see with a wireless to save power it will only communicate every so many seconds, the question is on average how many seconds before the heating responds?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back