Horstmann HRFS1 Programmable Room Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted the HSFS1 to my mother’s house and it seems in the main to work very well however every so often it seems to stop. What I don’t know is if due to some one fiddling or if due to a fault. The camera in my mothers house also measures temperature so I can see when the temperature drops, the other day found dropped to 18°C set at 22°C the old Honeywell Y6630D Wireless Room Thermostat and Honeywell ST9100C1006 7 Day Time switch are still fitted and active the timer is set to only switch on heat at night with that one the idea is the HSFS1 is in day room and does day temperatures and the Y6630D is in bed room so does night temperatures so when it failed I just asked carer to switch the 7 Day Time switch to constant however on later visiting the HRFS1 was running A1 again.

Now on the HRFS1 there is a * button which puts it into frost protection mode and it allows the temperature to drop to 5°C the button is where anyone picking up the unit they can easy press it and I have had it where the button has been pressed.

But also it seems slow to commutate I don’t know how often they do commutate but when I had a boiler problem and had the boiler switched off for a time. On switching back on it seemed to take an age before it fired the boiler up again. I reverted to the Honeywell system to test boiler.

What I am hoping is others used the same thermostat and can say if theirs has failed then started working again without doing anything. I do think most likely the carers are being noisy and next visit realise they have messed it up and correct it saying nothing. But does not harm to ask if any one else has problems.

Sponsored Links
I have the same system with the thermostat in line of sight of the receiver . It always takes about 10 minutes from the thermostat sending a signal to the receiver before my boiler pump starts to work. This happens even when I put the thermostat just a metre away from the receiver. My bypass is to set the boiler and thermostat controls to switch the boiler pump on 10 minutes earlier than when central heating is needed. Maybe there's a capacitor problem?

The Honeywell Y6630D Wireless Room Thermostat works A1, there is a delay, but more around 1 minute, not 10 minutes. The HRFS1 got worse and worse as time went by, and in the end had to be just 1 meter from the receiver to work, now fitted in the kitchen it keeps heating running during very cold nights when the programmer has switched the Y6630D off, didn't realise it was that long ago when I first had problems, today main room has MiHome heads on the TRV and I must say it keeps temperature spot on.

I have every intention to get another pair of MiHome heads, idea was to program when the rooms heated, however found rooms don't cool that much, and even if set to 12°C over night in the morning when central heating starts up again rarely any cooler than 17°C, so for 3°C hardly worth bothering about, however with old mechanical heads set a 4 it was a bit hit and miss, room could hit 26°C but could also cool to 18°C that does not happen with the electronic heads, however it's not so much the temperature control but the speed they alter that has changed, today sun comes out and shines in living room and the electronic head switches off radiator quite quickly, but with old mechanical heads they were simply too slow to close.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back