My thermostat shows the wrong temperature.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a Horstman HrFS1 wireless thermostat that is now about 4 years old. Recently I get the feeling that it is showing the wrong temperature, lower than the actually room temperature by about a few degrees. The result of this means the heating seems to be on most of the time except when it has been programmed to turn off. The timer seems to work fine. I've attached a photo of my thermostat.

I've tried replacing the batteries which made no difference and now I'm not sure what I should do. Can I just buy a replacement and 'pair' it with the current receiver on the combi boiler?

Many thanks,

Julian,
London, UK
IMG_6568.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you put an ordinary thermometer alongside the thermostat to confirm your thoughts. Is the room too hot? Why not set the thermostat lower? The number is not that important as long as you feel warm

It could simply be that it is measuring the wall temperature rather than the air temperature!

I noticed that in two of my previous houses when the stat was fixed to an external solid wall or even an internal solid wall the wall fabric took a long time to reach the room temperature particularly if the room was not heated all the time as most people use their CH for economy. Try taking the stat off the wall and place it on a wooden shelf of similar place more into the room. Some stats can also be adjusted to correct the reading to the real room temperature.

Thanks for you replies. The thermostat is not mounted to a wall and gets moved around. I've used a thermometer alongside and I reckon the thermostat reads the room temperature as 3 degrees lower than what it actually is. This is really strange....

Sponsored Links
But why does it bother you?

Set to 18 when you want 21

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back