Recommendations for door bell mains transformer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could I please have some personal recommendations for a mains door bell transformer that people here have installed? I am looking for the transformer to provide power to 3 internal bell sounders if possible given the size of the property.

I will probably be using 0.75mm two core cable given that two of the cable runs to the sounds will be about 20-30m each and the other about 5-7m (these distances are from the doorbell and refers to cable going around corners etc rather than line of sight to the sounder).

Could someone also please confirm how these should be wired, is it one cable from the push button to the transformer and then three cables out from the transformer to each bell sounder OR some other way?

Sponsored Links
Which one do you recommend for what I am trying to achieve as there are several there?

Is it a better idea to get it wired into a module which goes into the consumer unit or have a standalone transformer?

Sponsored Links
If you want, you can put a "consumer unit" one into a small DIN enclosure.

You might want to rewire to different terminals if you get a bell of different voltage, so easy access can be important.

As it's not a CU I see no reason you can't use an insulated enclosure, say a 4-way with blanks if needed.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/Wylex_Enclosures/index.html

mine looks like this but I think it has several voltage tappings (is for an entryphone)
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VE753.html

If you put a transformer (or anything else) in a CU the cable inside must be mains-rated and insulated, not "bell wire"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back