Recommendations for the clueless beginner

You are greatly overestimating my skills. I just about know the difference between a flat head and a phillips screwdriver.

I have had a look at the youtube videos detailing how to chase in wires. It seems waaay to complicated. I'd rather pay someone to so it properly than spend time trying to do it myself, failing miserably and then paying someone to fix it.

It's virtually impossible to mess it up, if you make a mistake it will get hidden by the replaster.

Shading for wires is essential making 2 lines and chiseling out the middle to a certain depth, it doesn't have to be perfect as it gets covered with plaster anyway.

But let's start simple.

What is the first task you wish to tackle on your own?

Sponsored Links
I recommend a book? The one I'm thinking about is the "Reader's Digest Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual".
I had the same book, I think when i moved into first home in 1979 , and only recently got rid of ot i think, Purchased M-i-L property when she passed in 2017 , and part of rationalisation of all the books - but i seem to think my partner she wanted to keep it, but could not see on the shelfs - to be honest i don't think i opened it since about 1997

But that seems to say that you did use it for 18 years before that...

Yep, used the book quite a lot , a lot of DIY, shelves, Installing 2 kitchens, making 3 sheds, cabinets, Wardrobes , laying floors and a lea to, all with just comprehensive basic tools , corded drill and jigsaw, I guess once you get the basics ot of the book, then the book slowly becomes less of a reference, but did use a lot at the time.

I would say go out and get a good starter kit, I did in 1979 , good quality handtools, and still have quite a few of them and used even today. Spirit level, handplane, Tenon saw , panel saw, coping saw, hammer , Screwdrivers , gauges to name just a few. I made quite a few tools as an Electronic Engineering Apprentice (MOD , 1st year all Mechanics, in a machine shop, except for sandwich release to college)

Again quite a few videos on starter tools on youtube, I like Peter Millard and Skill Builder

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just looked in my bookcase and I have a 2001 copy of The Readers Digest Complete Book of Home DIY.
Still looks brand new and when I looked in the flyleaf I realised I must have bought it at a car booty for the grand sum of £2.50
Can't find the original price but it's hard-backed with full colour pictures throughout and contains over 500 pages not including the index.

Another good book, probably familiar to anyone who's done any formal building study is Chudley (and I think his mate Greeno drew the pictures).

By "Chudley" I presume you mean "The Building Construction Handbook" by Roy Chudley. Bit advanced for a first time DIYer, surely?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back