Plastering Course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a weekend course?

I am a complete beginner but as most of my house needs plastering and I can't afford to pay a professional a course sounds like a good idea.

Will a weekend be enough for a complete beginner to them go home and start plastering?

Sponsored Links
I did a weekend plastering course just outside London (Romford) - www.goldtrowel.org - and have so far reskimmed the bedroom, including the ceiling. Ok Brist is probably right - you can tell it was me and not a pro, but I was totally surprised how good I got it. The girlfriend who is quite particular about these things is delighted, and it wowed a couple of mates to the extent that they're currently trying to convince me to help them do theirs!!!

The weekend itself was great and I learnt loads - thoroughly recommended. If you want any more info don't hesitate.

I did one of these courses about 3 years ago altho it was a weeks long, i just learnt the basics and the rest comes down to practice and gaining some experience, i teamed up with a guy who'd been plastering for 15 yrs and by helping him and watching i improved my standard and speed. i took on small jobs to start with and have gradually got more ambitious but even now im still very choosy as to what i will attempt. Perhaps not a good idea to attemt too much too soon.

Sponsored Links
Multifinish,
You are being very honest A week may be a long time in politics,but in plastering it is a very short time.I don't know what, or how much is taught on these courses,but it is the amount you learn that is important.By teaming up with an experienced plasterer after the course,helping him and watching him,has given you continuity in learning,and will give you experience and confidence in the job.......Being choosy as to what you attempt or take on,is no bad thing.I do that all the time,and I've been plastering for 40 years.Always take on a job you KNOW you can finish,and always finish that job to the best of your ability.Good luck to you mate.You'll make a good plasterer.

Roughcaster.

Alreet Roughcaster

The course just scratched the surface really, Some dot n dab, cutting n fixing the boards, beading, first and second coats , ceilings, reveals trowelling up etc. Each job i take on is unique as you will be aware so presents a new challenge. Generally me and my customers have been happy with my work with one or 2 nitemares thrown in for good measure. After 3 years im still a beginner i realise that. Holla if your down here anytime- 40 yrs work im sure i could pick up some tips

Multi

Thanks for that Multi,
Yep, 40 years soon flies in,but I'll you what,plastering keeps you fit.I can still remember the first time that I used a hawk and trowel.It was in Petersfield, Hampshire. I served my time with a little building firm in Fareham,Hampshire,not far away from where I grew up.Everything was plastered then.Still,there's a good living to made from plastering nowadays,and it's a trade you'll never forget, so hang in there.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back