Plastering Courses

Thanks for all the encouragement.

I've had a look around the plasters forum, and it seems that the golden trowel is well respected.

I think I will try some of the smaller plastering jobs around the house first, and maybe have a couple attempts at skimming a wall, and then have a crack at the course. Will have more questions to ask them that way.

We bought our house with the long term aim of growing into it, with more kids etc.( It's lucky really as half the rooms are unusable, but we manage to live out of the remaining rooms in the house.) Anyway, the top floor is pretty much a building site at the moment. My wife has given me until the end of next year to get the top floor sorted, so I have a lot of space and time to practice up there.

Sponsored Links
I think I will try some of the smaller plastering jobs around the house first, and maybe have a couple attempts at skimming a wall, and then have a crack at the course. Will have more questions to ask them that way.

I would strongly suggest that if you want to have a go before the course (perfectly sensible) then I would start on a piece of decent size plasterboard (2.4m x 1.2m) screwed to the wall on the top floor.
If you build up layers of finish plaster on the walls themselves in practising/first attempts, it will likely get messy and uneven. The board will take down easy and not expensive.
The hands on practice you get from the course will give you a real boost and then have a crack at the walls for real when you're done.
They should show you how to get a decent mix too - something you may get very wrong trying yourself for first time!

Best of luck :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back