Recommended companies for double glazing windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing up my first time by but there are some jobs I don't think I should take on on my own ;) so basically I'm based in south wales and looking to replace the windows and bay front window on a mid terrace house, does anyone have any recommendations for companies to go with or avoid?

Cheers for your help

Sponsored Links
Have a look on check-a-trade http://www.checkatrade.com and whoever you go with make sure they're accredited by the GGF ( http://www.ggf.org.uk/ ) or equivalent.

When I was looking round I spoke to most of the big nationals and a couple of local firms. The difference in price was astounding yet most of the features and quality appeared to be the same. I might have been missing something but I went with the cheaper option, they're coming to fit on Thursday and I guess I'll find out then if I made the right choice.

Word of mouth on Anglian hasn't been good but that could just be this area as it was mainly fitter issues.

Thanks Egmel, since posting this topic I've had a look round the web and seen very bad stuff spoken about safestyle uk and that Everest is vastly overpriced. It's really hard to know who to go with but the general concensus seems to be stick with someone local so I'll keep looking

By the time the different national companies had all left and re-contacted me with their final price there wasn't a lot between them.

Sponsored Links
I work for one of the largest PVC-U extrusion companies in the UK.
I would advise you to steer clear of the so-called major players and stick to a good local fabricator, one who's business is more dependant on a quality product/installation ;)

I've had a couple of quotes now, I won't bother mentioning Everests but a local Fensa accredited firm quoted me 3450 to replace the front bay window and for 4 windows around the house that are a decent size, roughly 5ft by 3ft each. Would anyone in the know comment on whether this sounds like a decent quote for what i've mentioned above. Thanks

I cannot see why people go to the bigboys, They try and rip you off with a massive price and evenyually half it. Why not go to a local business you normally get the correct and only price first time and if you need any call backs there is not to much chasing to do.

I think people feel safer with a big name, it's also a convenience and laziness factor.

It's like asking why people go to Tesco's, Sainsbury's, Asda etc rather than going to their local butcher, baker, grocer and store. They know the product will probably be better if they go local, they assume it will be more expensive (because that's what the media and the big-boys say) and it's a the big brand is a name they know, there's less risk.

It's the reason I refer people to check-a-trade, it removes the risk factor to a certain extent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back