Recommended locks for front door

I haven't, but it was done at one of the properties I manage. The lock then becomes the weakest point, and either breaks off the back plate, or the stricker or bolt gives way.

Sponsored Links
A solid core door is a door blank with no hollows or card board inside, hence it being called a solid core door, made of wood.

Andy

Sponsored Links
OOI, what broke?

I have solid hardwood doors and frames, an intruder kicked one hard enough to activate the alarm sensor without damaging the door.

I also have a 44mm softwood FLB gate, it was kicked and started a split by the lock (I subsequently added a steel kickguard).

Both fitted with the same model of Chubb deadlock.

A British Standard Deadlock, of course. BS3621

I hope you haven't got a plastic door.

Here are a few. The Union is particularly good value.
https://www.screwfix.com/c/security-ironmongery/bs-5-lever-deadlocks/cat810326

If somebody tries to sell you a Eurocylinder lock, ask if it meets the BS.

Your home insurance company will have a leaflet of specification called "minimum standards of home security." It may be within the policy or on their website. If you email them they will doubtless send you a copy.
5-lever locks made to BS3621 are of course essential for a wooden door, but you can go a step further and find one with a 25 year guarantee. They tend to be used a lot, so may as well get a well made one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back