Recommended MFTs for DIY use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a basic MFT or test kits that'll cover the 17th edition tests for a single phase domestic supply.

Don't fancy the hassle of buying second hand and sending off for recalibration. Don't need PC interfaces, bluetooth or rechargeable batteries, just something that'll happily sit in the cupboard and work the next time I come to need it. Would I be better going for separate testers vs an MFT? Any recommendations welcome.

Background - we're remote rural, even the dodgy electricians are generally only available on a 6 month lead time, and I have a house and outbuildings with typical 'ex farmhouse' issues to gradually update prior to a full rewire in 3-5 years time.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
You say for DIY and you don't want to have to calibrate! I would not think any DIY users calibrate their equipment. Normal is to have a socket tested and know what results should be before testing something new.

I think every loop impedance tester I have used if you press button three times in a single socket you will get three different results. They are just not that accurate in first place.

I am sure most electricians will if near the limits always test twice. Mains supply is just not stable enough for meters not to be affected by other equipment causing the voltage to raise and fall a bit.

Likely things you do will need checking by LABC and what you want is readings close enough to correct so they will do one test then accept your readings.

The only people who can say what are good meters and what are bad are those buying many meters. Large electrical firms, colleges and the like. Every make has good and bad points and much is down to luck. I had problems with Siemens but I bet there is some one on this forum who has had problems with every meter made.

I'm looking for a basic MFT or test kits that'll cover the 17th edition tests for a single phase domestic supply. ... Don't fancy the hassle of buying second hand and sending off for recalibration. Don't need PC interfaces, bluetooth or rechargeable batteries, just something that'll happily sit in the cupboard and work the next time I come to need it. Would I be better going for separate testers vs an MFT? Any recommendations welcome.
You'll probably get a range of answers based on personal preferences, but since you seem to be talking about buying new, I would imagine that the bottom-of-the-current-range model from any of the major manufacturers would do all you need. An MFT is likely to be more convenient (and probably cheaper) for your purposes. For what it's worth, I (also a DIYer) have always used Fluke kit, but there are several other very reputable makes out there. As with all things, it's probably best to avoid obscure/unknown makes, even if they are cheap! Yourbest bet is probably 'shopping around' for the best deal amongst the big names.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Start looking on eBay - you do sometimes get some stunning bargains. If you go for separates you can pick off bargains as they arise. Set up some saved searches with email notifications, and start getting a feel for prices.

You say you don't want to buy secondhand and get it calibrated, but a calibration certificate shows that you aren't buying something which doesn't work. If you see a likely item which you're interested in, ask the seller if he would add a calibration certificate into the deal if you pay him extra for that. If he says no, then move on.

A calibrated second hand Fluke or Megger etc is going to be a better bet than a new Hoki-Koki 2000.

One thing I would say regarding obscure makes though is don't dismiss Beha aka Unitest aka Telaris. Good equipment, made by a German firm now owned by Fluke, but not well known here and therefore they often go for less.

And when you've got it/them, build a check-box so that you can confirm that it's still working OK even after it's gone out of calibration.

....And when you've got it/them, build a check-box so that you can confirm that it's still working OK even after it's gone out of calibration.
I think you probably mean "even after its calibration certificate has expired", rather than "after it's gone out of calibration" (in which case it would not "still be working OK"!) - but, with that caveat, I definitely agree with you. However if (as sounds as if it might be the case) the OP will, at least at times, be using the meter to produce figures for LABC then, of course, a current calibration certificate would probably be required.

Kind Regards, John

Well for DIY work how about a Kewtech KT61 can be had brand new for around £350, not my personal choice but does all the basic test to start with.
If i had to choose a basic tester for less than about £500 i would be looking for a Fluke 1651B or the new Megger 1710 both great testers.
Its a lot of money to spend for DIY work, you could get a second hand insulation continuity tester on eBay for less than £50 and then maybe buy one of them test plugs that does a basic Earth loop and RCD check.

Thanks all, really useful info. I suppose my caution over eBay is stuff like this :eek:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Fun..._Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item1e7304cccb

Well for DIY work how about a Kewtech KT61 can be had brand new for around £350, not my personal choice but does all the basic test to start with.
If i had to choose a basic tester for less than about £500 i would be looking for a Fluke 1651B or the new Megger 1710 both great testers.
Its a lot of money to spend for DIY work, you could get a second hand insulation continuity tester on eBay for less than £50 and then maybe buy one of them test plugs that does a basic Earth loop and RCD check.

£350 - £500 isn't too bad, TBH I'm looking for more than a go/no-go reading. We've had this 400+ year old farmhouse for a couple of years now - but only just moved there full-time with the time to start working through the issues.

Most of the work has been done to a reasonable standard, or to be more accurate, to several reasonable standards... namely the 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, and possibly the 16th editions. Plus the odd bodge here and there.

The odd stretch of VIR in outbuildings and Mickey Mouse issues aside, my biggest concern is that simple mods could easily render things less safe without adequate pre and post testing / planning. That's where a go/no-go meter probably won't help.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks all, really useful info. I suppose my caution over eBay is stuff like this :eek:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Fun...ment_Equipment_ET&hash=item1e7304cccb[/QUOTE]
You can buy stuff like that in all sorts of places, not just eBay, and if you refused to buy anything from anybody who also sold stuff like that you'd not have many places left.

£350 - £500 isn't too bad,
If you want to spend that much, go ahead, but you don't have to, and with the difference you could also get a Martindale tester for proving dead and a proving unit to go with it and the components to build a check box.

Anyway - whatever you do, well done for having the right attitude.

Oh - and start looking for a conduit bender, and keep an eye out for a bargain reel of Pyro ;)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Oh - and start looking for a conduit bender, and keep an eye out for a bargain reel of Pyro ;)

Many years ago I knew an electrician for one of the fire contractors employed by the underground. He rewired his entire house in red sleeved MICC. I never asked...

Serious question... how hard IS pyro? I can see the attraction for outbuildings... fit and forget.

Just bought a straightening tool, so hopefully that will help.

And at 80p/m I can afford a bit of practice.... :mrgreen:

Did you pay £5.52 about 3 weeks ago for your straightner?

Pyro is horrendous the first time you ever try and do it, but like everything it gets easier with practice.

The cable isn't too expensive, it's the pots and glands that really push up the price of installation, and they don't seem to come up on ebay very often.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back