Rectifying non compliant electrical work

As I said, I believe that being totally honest is the best and simplest course. It's then up to a potential buyer to decide what, if anything, they want to do about it - there's nothing illegal about selling a house which has had 'unnotified' electrical work undertaken, provided one does NOT lie about it.
I agree now. :)
Whoops!! :oops: - now corrected. Thanks for noticing, and I'm glad that you agree.
Just tell the truth; it doesn't matter. You have already allowed for it in the asking price.
Exactly... and, despite what some people seem to fear, there really is no risk of someone in the conveyancing process "reporting them to LABC", or whatever!!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
there's nothing illegal about selling a house which has had 'unnotified' electrical work undertaken, provided one does not lie about it.
There's nothing illegal about selling a house which is about to collapse and crush everyone inside.

Caveat emptor applies in its most absolute form to house purchases, the Sale Of Goods Act does not apply.

despite what some people seem to fear, there really is no risk of someone in the conveyancing process "reporting them to LABC", or whatever!!
And even if they did, there is not one scrap of evidence to show that their attitude would be anything other than DGAS. Since electrical work was brought within the scope of the Building Regulations nearly 10 years ago there as not been (as far as anybody knows) a single prosecution for failing to notify.

There's nothing illegal about selling a house which is about to collapse and crush everyone inside.
Exactly.
And even if they did, there is not one scrap of evidence to show that their attitude would be anything other than DGAS. Since electrical work was brought within the scope of the Building Regulations nearly 10 years ago there as not been (as far as anybody knows) a single prosecution for failing to notify.
Again, exactly.

... yet, when someone even hints that they might be planning to undertake notifiable work without notification, one of the first 'warnings' to be thrown at them often relates to the (seemingly fictional) 'serious problems' that might arise when they come to sell the house. One wonders why some people feel the need to give 'warnings' about things that almost certainly are not going to happen!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back