Recurring Ceiling crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a crack in the my plastered living room ceiling along the join between the main ceiling and the ceiling above the bay window. Any advice on how to repair such that is doesn't reappear. Would "No more cracks" do the job?

Sponsored Links
Andy,
First of all, I wouldn't use "No More Cracks". That is only cosmetic, and would not do as a permanent repair in your situation. You say it's a plastered ceiling, but is it lath and plaster or plasterboard? .......I will have more to say on this later,(tonight) I have to rush off.

Roughcaster.

It's definately plasterboard under the plaster on the main ceiling. I've never has occasion to drill into the ceiling above the bay window so can't be sure what that is, but I presume that would be plasterboard also.

when plasterboarding a building you are aware of vulnerable locations that are liable to cause trouble (cracks). for example, where a stud wall joins a masonry wall (in-line), then it would be prudent for a plasterboard to fully cover this join, and not to have two separate pieces of board meeting on this join

it is in these locations, that wisdom suggests carrying a whole plasterboard across the vulnerable location would be in the best interests of the job. unfortunately, some builders would see it as an unnecessary wast of time. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Forget no more cracks or any other surface applied filler for that matter. The only chance you’ve got is to reinforce the joint with several overlapping layers of reinforcing tape, re-plaster the whole bay & blend this out over the main ceiling area. This can be very successful on ceilings in general & it’s also worked where I’ve had a stud partition meet a solid wall but on a bay window, you will have the problem of temperature related differential expansion between 2 areas so there can be no guarantee the crack will not re-appear.

As already suggested, the mistake was in the positioning of the original plasterboard sheets; the joint should never have been located directly below where the bay window meets the main structure but, in most cases, they either don’t think about it or don’t care; you could over-board & re-plaster the whole ceiling!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back