Rediators - post "cleaning"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house and due to a lot of cat hair build up behind the rads, I took them off cleaned behind and replaced. However, now the hot water and heating don't appear to be working. What have I done!?

It is a conventional boiler.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
probably airlocked.
is the boiler firing up ?
did you drain the system ?
did you bleed the pump ?

I am suffering from an incurable case of incompetance. I did not bleed the pump or drain the system. Ok this was clearly wriong but what are the implications of not doing so?

Just looked at the boiler - doesnt appear to be firing but its a glow worm that doesnt have an obvious ignitiion switch.

One for a professional do you think - as it should have been in the first place!?

glowworm what model ?

did you just shut the rad valves, drain rad and then remove and refitted in reverse order ?

Sponsored Links
sorry, left house and on mobile - don't know which model - will find out this eve

I did exactly as you have stated - clearly wrong. Anything I can do or is it a prob. Or do you need to know model before you can answer?

Thanks for your help so far

its def not a combi boiler.
no gauge on the front etc?

the boiler could of tripped. :idea:

...not a combi. hot water tank in bedroom and cold water tank in attic.

If the bolier is tripped, there is no obvious switch to put it back on

blocked cold feed probably or dry header tank. Check to see if the boiler fires for a limited time from cold before shutting down.

ok thanks I'll investigate and let you know. However!, Can you clarify what you mean by "from cold". At what point do I check to see if the boiler is firing.

Apologies - another fine mess!

leave the system completely off for an hour. That will then be cold. Turn it on and you may find the boiler does fire for a short time.
Go in the loft and check the header tank has plenty of water in, and the float valve operates.

so you know what we suspect:

it is very common for the water supply that tops-up the system to fail, especially in a system which is open-vented and/or old and/or neglected. If the amount of water remaining is insufficient to circulate, some or all of the radiators may be cold, and the hot water cylinder may be cold Fault will be worse at the highest point). The boiler will not fire for long because it will overheat the small amount of remaining water very quickly.

Sometimes this is because the Feed & Expansion tank is dry because the float valve is jammed, more often it is because the system is old and dirty, and the supply pipe is blocked with sediment.

The system can continue to work with the water already present, and the problem usually manifests itself when it will not refill after a radiator has been taken off for maintenance or redecorating, or after it has been partially or fully drained.

Your circumstances sound very much like that, but similar symptoms also occur for other reasons, for example poor circulation due to a pump problem or an air lock or a sediment blockage or a faulty valve.

I would like you to see if water squirts forcefully out of the highest radiator in the house when you bleed it, the reason is that this test displays if there is a shortage of water in the system (which we suspect). This is also a very easy and quick test to perform which does not even require the use of a spanner or a step-ladder and can be done in a couple of minutes.

If there is a shortage of water, then looking in the F&E tank will tell us if it is due to a jammed float valve. If not is is very likely the sediment blockage.

However, if you do not have a shortage of water, then we will be looking for a different cause.

Knowing the cause will help identify the cure.

Thank you I will test this evening. Although from memory when I bled the radiators (including the upstairs ones) last week , firstly they beld for absolutely ages and secondly the water did eventually squirt out, although cant remember how forcefully. Will check again and report back!

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back