Redo or extend ring main?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't decide what is the best sollution for adding extra sockets around my house. I've got concrete floors with the one ring main dropping down and feeding all sockets around the house. Could I run drops from new junction boxes under the floor boards (I'm thinking that droping from existing sockets would be too cramped)? Is there a problem with mixing old wiring with the harmonized? Or should I redo the whole ring main? Most of the house is getting decorated and floorboards are exposed, so it wouldn't cause too much disruption.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Depending on the condition of the existing, I would leave it as is. However, if you have few sockets and they're all singles or there are faults on the wiring (earth loop too high etc), I would start again. Use a "two colours" sticker near the CU if using "H" cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back