Reducing fireplace opening for a smaller surround and stove burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there! I would love to get some advice here.
I have a fireplace opening that is 40”x 40”. I wanted to get a fireplace surround that is 36”x36” because it is affordable and design I like. My plan is to install a wood burning stove after installing the surround but I am wondering how best do I reduce the fireplace opening?

For the side I am thinking I can layer bricks and render to bring the side in by 3” each. Do I need to also have to bring the top of the opening down as well if the fireplace surround can cover it ?

Thank you !

Sponsored Links
3" brick columns are going to be a bit weak unless you tie them to the existing returns (either tooth them in or use wall starters if they're permitted in that location)
If you can get stable columns you can top them off with a concrete lintel and mortar and slate infill of the gap.
But first check that your proposed surround is suitable for use in a fairly high temperature environment.

Most people seem to want to make the opening larger to get a better airflow around the stove, do you have any images of the opening and the intended surround.

I installed a wood burning stove and would recommend having as much space around it as you can. Tools and wood storage for instance.

Aesthetically I think it is nice if the gap around the stove is proportional and as even as possible.

Our stove is 800x650 and sits inside a 1700x1200 opening

Regards

Tet

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Stoves have a minimum clearance required to prevent heat damage , check the model you intend to fit .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back