Reducing rain noise from sheet metal roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I'm looking for some advice on how I can reduce the amount of rain noise I'm getting in the bedroom in my sheet metal roofed extension.

I'm not looking to silence it completely, just reduce it as much as possible (just now it's like sleeping inside a snare drum!)

The sheet roof is attached via wooden purlins to the top of an old felt covered wooden roof, which is itself attached to the wooden beams. The ceiling is 12.5 mm plasterboard screwed to the beams, with Kingspan between the joists.

I can't afford to loose much in the way of height in the room and I'm not too keen to take the ceiling down, so....

* Will putting up another layer of 12.5 mm plasterboard help (I previously double sheeted a wall and put a bead of mastic between the sheets and it seemed to make a difference)?

* Would an acoustic membrane make much of a difference, and is it worth the money?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
Poor roof choice given the climate up there, ear plugs would be simple, effective, cheap solution.

Additional insulation/board will help but as mentioned, poor choice of roof finish. Whether additional board etc would be worth it would be down to what you considered 'worth it', I wouldn't expect a significant improvement, probably more 'just noticeable).

Where I work we make aluminium roof terminals for commercial buildings. We line those with self adhesive acoustic foam, you can get different thicknesses. The 12mm stuff is pretty cheap.

I think it's called v-series acoustic foam, our supplier is called siderise.

Sponsored Links
Hi
A brush on bitumen product with a reinforced mesh will do the job.
Aquaseal or similar is something i have used in the past.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back