Reducing the size of a uPVC window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a little advice. I have an existing uPVC double-glazed window in my garage that for various reasons I need to reduce in size (width).

I can envisage what I need to do i.e. remove old window frame, brick up the hole to the desired size, refit new window, but wanted to get a view as to any gotchas that I might need to watch out for.

I'm a reasonably competent DIYer but never done anything like this before, hence the uncertainty in how to proceed.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
How much do you need to take off?
You can cut the ribs off a PVC window with no problems but any more than that is going to compromise the strength and thermal properties of the window.

As this is just for a garage if the window isnt too large you should be ok cutting a little more off, Just watch out for steel reinforcing.

How much do you need to take off?
You can cut the ribs off a PVC window with no problems but any more than that is going to compromise the strength and thermal properties of the window.

As this is just for a garage if the window isnt too large you should be ok cutting a little more off, Just watch out for steel reinforcing.

Think the op was talking more about resizing the opening rather than the window, that's how I read it?

Sponsored Links
Ah ok.
Maybe better off on the building section then.

How much smaller are you planing to make it? You could do some timber frames and clad it with PVC cladding or trims.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back