Redundant soil and vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has two soil and vent pipes - the first is an internal one that exits through the roof space and has all the drainage connected to it. The other is a big huge cast iron thing, stuck on the side of the house. This one isn't connected to anything and I'm guessing because there's no branches off it that it originally intended as a vent pipe only?

The outside of the house is being re-rendered and so the cast iron monster has had to come off. When the builder did this he showed me that it was blocked below ground level - when I dug the muck out it appears it's blocked around the bend too. The drain only runs about 2 and 1/2 meters to an inspection chamber which is clear.

I'm trying to figure out if there's any need for the vent to be replaced and put back on the outside of the building - I've had varying opinions from it being needed to vent sewer gas from other properties in the street to it probably being redundant and there's no need for it any more. Builder doing the job suggested it's up to me and he'll do whatever I want (including a Durgo but I'm not sure that's a good option at low level outside?)

To me, having seen that it was so ram packed with stuff, and that it has been like that for at least three years (and probably a good deal longer than that) I'm wondering what good it would have been doing anyway?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back