Refilling the system after rad change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new to plumbing but with the help of the internet, managed to take of my radiator and put it back up when necessary. However i am still left with the water i drained from it.

I put half the water in the tank in the loft (a closed system i think) but it soon reached the overflow level.

How do i fully refill the system, does the central heating need to be on? is it perhaps not a closed system (although i think it is)

Also when replacing the radiator, i may have miscounted the number of turns on the spindle, i opened the valve 4 and a half times, now it may be correct or i may actually need half a turn more to get it back to how it was, i am not sure, is this likely to cause a problem.

Any help would me much appreciated as i am at a loss at the moment (apart from having a bucket full of rad water next to me!!

Thanks

Chopper

Sponsored Links
The tank in the loft is the feed & expansion tank and automatically tops the water up as and when required. You do not have a closed system.

Simply open both valves at either end of the rad, open the bleed valve at the top and wait for the air to be replaced with water.

Throw away the bucket of water.

1/2 a turn won't make much difference either way.

ArtfulBodger said:
The tank in the loft is the feed & expansion tank and automatically tops the water up as and when required. You do not have a closed system.

Simply open both valves at either end of the rad, open the bleed valve at the top and wait for the air to be replaced with water.

Throw away the bucket of water.

1/2 a turn won't make much difference either way.

Thanks dude.

Does this mean i should take out the extra water i put into the tank upstairs or will it sort itself out??

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about the extra water you have added (unless it is gushing out of the tank :LOL: )
Any excess will exit via overflow and water level will return to its set ball valve level as the water tops up the system over time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back